New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How many angry about dropping firewire in new Macbook pros?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shoot2thrill

shoot2thrill is on a distinguished road

seeing I have spent a fortune on various firewire video components cameras and external drives I can say with certainty that I am unimpressed with the new macbooks only because of this mistake. I Do not care about steve Jobs opinion he gets his stuff for free. I wanted the new macbook but in fact it is USELESS to me.
personaly I would prefer also adding serial ata jack & firewire
QUOTE Thanks
janusoo

janusoo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos

Hadn't realized this omission on the new model till you pointed it out, but definitely agree that not including firewire was not a cool idea. I'm with you on that. Rats! I was looking forward to having a look at them, too.
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

The MBPs have one 800 Firewire port. But the MBs don't. I don't think that I could survive with out my firewire ports.

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yes, it the Macbook that they completely removed the Firewire from. The new MBP has a FW800 and an Express Card slot so you can affix say a FW400 card.

So yes, am VERY mad about the Macbook because people like you and I are totally stuck with no way out except by spending a lot more for an MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

I recently got into filming and want to start a little production company with a few buddies and because of this I even told my friend to not waste the money on a new macbook because of the firewire being gone. He can't afford a MBP so it looks like were stuck using my macbook and one of my other friends macbooks for the videos. I can't wait until my brother gets one of the new MBP's i am so going over to my family house and live there for a few days just to mess with the MBP lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm still ticked off that they stopped including floppy drives and SCSI hard drives.

Seriously folks... firewire 400 has run its course and it's time to move on. If you have legacy devices that require firewire 400, then suck it up and buy the Pro or buy the "old" MacBook. Or switch to Windows, buy a Dell, and get over it. This is life and Apple has no obligation to support an interface that has been superceded by newer ones for some years now.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

Never used it...so how can i miss it
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

And what interfaces are those? USB 2? Be serious. And there are MANY who can not afford a Macbook Pro Including ME. You telling me to go back to Vista? Since I am a mod here I will hold back a bit but that will be the day when someone tells me what OS to run.

USB 3 might be very nice but I do not see anything but USB 2.0 in a new Macbook and USB 2.0 is very slow with file transfer to and from an external HDD.

Floppy drives? That is not even a fair thing to compare this to at all.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

The way I understood it, and this is just me, is that USB was for the masses, and firewire was much more of a professional type of thing (hence my audio equipment using firewire). Hence, the mass notebook (MB) not having it anymore, and the Pro moving to the upgraded version of it (FW800). Someone else on the forum said (and I am paraphrasing) that most people with MB's probably don't even know what the heck that port is for, and I totally agree with that.

Is it crappy that they dropped it? For some people it is, but for most (read mass notebook model) it isn't a big deal at all. While I was at the store the other day I saw AT LEAST 15 MB's go out the door, and I bet not a single one of those people even knew, nor noticed, firewire missing.

I think a better comparison is when Apple switched from PPC to Intel. There was mass hysteria when that happened, but life moved on and so did the people. This, like everything else, will pass.

Just my two cents.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
And what interfaces are those? USB 2? Be serious. And there are MANY who can not afford a Macbook Pro Including ME. You telling me to go back to Vista? Since I am a mod here I will hold back a bit but that will be the day when someone tells me what OS to run.

USB 3 might be very nice but I do not see anything but USB 2.0 in a new Macbook and USB 2.0 is very slow with file transfer to and from an external HDD.

Floppy drives? That is not even a fair thing to compare this to at all.
There's also a fair number of people who can't even afford the "new" MacBook. The Pro is only $800 more as it is. I realize that can be a tidy sum for some people. If you gotta have the firewire, then buy the "old" MacBook. Apple is selling those still, and for less than the "new" one. I don't see how Apple is obligated to make sure everyone who wants the new models can also have everything they want in it at the entry level. The new MacBook as is will suffice for quite a lot of people. I'd be OK with it myself if not for the 13" screen. Rather than fuss how they don't have a 15" option for the MacBook, I'm just going Pro. Not an easy extra $800 for me either, but it's that or suffer the smaller screen.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

lifeafter2am, I see your points and agree to a point but still it will hurt thousands or people who really need Firewire and want a new Macbook.

I really was glad by the way when they went Intel as I knew performance would be higher and better compatibility with the rest of the world. I actually welcomed that switch.

I would go with a Pro if I could, but there is no way I can afford the difference. For my uses the new construction of the MacBook will be much nicer and more rugged in the field where I have to use my notebook. Also the LED display is superior. I have seen the old MB side by side with the MBA and it's amazing how much brighter and clearer it is, but I need the interface, so I will have to stick with my older machine for now.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
lifeafter2am, I see your points and agree to a point but still it will hurt thousands or people who really need Firewire and want a new Macbook.

I really was glad by the way when they went Intel as I knew performance would be higher and better compatibility with the rest of the world. I actually welcomed that switch.
Oh I agree with you completely, but I think this is what Apple was thinking.

Yeah, I was happy when they went Intel as well, even though I have always had a soft spot for RISC architecture.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ebay auctivia help please! | sending folders with email (programs?) »