Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   Do you use AOL for internet? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/127020-do-you-use-aol-internet.html)

fearlessfreap24 10-16-2008 11:48 PM

Do you use AOL for internet?

i have seen several threads having to do with AOL recently and just can not believe that AOL even exists. they had a huge call center in jacksonville, fl right across from the UNF campus that shut down several years ago. maybe i have become blind to there cd's in stores, or i just dont shop where they have aol cd's anymore. it is just weird to me. you dont have to justify it to me, i just want to know. thanks for you input.

lifeafter2am 10-17-2008 12:47 AM

Honestly, the only people that I know that still use it are people like my dad (in his 60's) and my grandpa; old timers who don't know anything else and are either scared to switch or don't know enough to switch. No offense, but AOL is HORRIBLE and I can't believe they are still around either.

Dysfunction 10-17-2008 01:20 AM

not since I quit working there in the mid 90s ;)

cuhnool 10-17-2008 01:30 AM

wow I don't even think about AOL even when using AIM!!!

dtravis7 10-17-2008 01:52 AM

I used AOL at one time when I was living with a group of my family. We were sharing the house and rent and utilities and I got an AOL account and made 5 accounts, 4 Sub Accounts for them and I used mine once in a while for a different email address. This was back in the days of Dialup also. I had my own account with a local Dial Up ISP and it was much faster at the same connect speeds. I used that for my main internet usage and let the rest of them use the AOL and they liked it because it was easy for them.

Glad those days are over. I am the same way, I use AIM and iChat every day and do not even think of AOL anymore.

Eric559 10-17-2008 02:44 AM

Never once had AOL. Remembering back in the 90s when I really wanted to because it was the "in" thing.

mick_aka 10-17-2008 03:53 AM

AOL's service in the UK is notoriously bad, and their browser & log-in interface is horrible.

fearlessfreap24 10-17-2008 09:42 AM

i used it as my first isp in 1997, back when 33k modems were lightning fast.

cwa107 10-17-2008 09:47 AM

Don't forget that AOL is probably still the biggest Dial-Up ISP in the business. There are still plenty of people who don't have access to broadband based on a lack of infrastructure in certain rural and semi-rural areas.

What I do find astounding is the number of broadband users that still pay AOL for the "privilege" of using their crummy software, my in-laws included. Unfortunately, so many people were introduced to the Internet by AOL, so they just can't grasp the concept of multiple applications for different Internet-based services.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered building an AOL-like application that includes Web browsing, email, chat and IM all in one package, that includes a master database of mail servers and other ISP settings, so as to appeal to those that want that all-in-one experience, with instant, or nearly instant configuration.