New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTeeple View Post
I also thought of another one: people who have just plain STUPID signatures.

I'm not going to name any though, although I do know a few.
That's a bit subjective, don't you think? One man's trash is another's treasure.

The only thing that irritates me with signatures is the animated ones - they tend to be distracting.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman445 View Post
people who dont bother to read an entire 2 page thread, then posting somehting already asked then answered. I understand if the thread is like 40 pages long, but if its only 2-3 pages, seriously.
people who post 2 page threads. seriously. if i see more than 4 lines i move on and really try not to respond if i've read it. it better be really serious for something to be that long. blog it and then post a link. this is a forum, not your personal blog.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Many people get fixated on the fact that they just did a system update. So, if the computer hiccups in anyway, it absolutely MUST be related to the update in some form.

It's the same thing whenever we roll out a new Microsoft patch at work to our Windows machines. Even if the patch doesn't actually deploy, but we've announced that we're rolling security patches, I still get the "my machine doesn't do <insert whatever> since the update". A week goes by, I deploy the update late, and no one says a word...
Sure, but if someone is posting an issue to a forum, they don't want to get the first 30 replies saying "mine's OK".

Imagine you go to a health forum and say "Hey, I am getting these really bad headaches, what shall I do" and someone replies "My head's OK..."

It's just a waste of bandwidth.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
LTfan

LTfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory

along with the previous posts on signatures, i really hate ridiculously long sigs that take up more space than a standard response. like come one!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

'big problems' that are covered without really even digging in the manual

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
'big problems' that are covered without really even digging in the manual
And that happens a lot.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Another thing that bugs me, more as a Mac user than as a general forum thing:

Icons on the desktop.

C'mon guys. You have the dock for a reason. If you're really good, you've also got QuickSilver and Spotlight.

Almost as bad is docks with programs that are never used in it. I mean, how many times do you actually use iWeb?

Grrrrrr.
Agreed, or the people who have like 50 or so programs in their dock. I mean, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Amen!

And Derek, not even a Hard Drive icon on the desktop?
Not for me, I don't even show drives or removable media on the desktop.

The biggest thing that annoys me, and it's especially prominent with new switchers, are the fanboy comments and the immediate conclusion that anything Microsoft can't possibly be any good. It's amusing to see ignorant posts like that and then watch all the other fanyboys jump on board.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Josso

Josso is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: None... :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It's the same thing whenever we roll out a new Microsoft patch at work to our Windows machines. Even if the patch doesn't actually deploy, but we've announced that we're rolling security patches, I still get the "my machine doesn't do <insert whatever> since the update". A week goes by, I deploy the update late, and no one says a word...
Ahh... that's super...
I definitely do that next time.

- Josso!
Know more than some new Mac-users, but they're so expensive.
Hope they'll be it worth.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

About trashing Microsoft, I'll admit I'm bad for that. I always trash Microsoft, but after dealing with them for 7 years, and being loyal to them, then switching I think I have the right to do that

and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

When people don't read the rules for the Apple Rumors section.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
When people don't read the rules for the Apple Rumors section.
I don't do that either.

and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Fear of the command line

At least for me.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Mac zealots. Really they're it. Always bashing windows, being hypocritical, taking the word of their commercials as absolute.

Windows zealots are the same, but man I've cound mac zealots to be more smug and trying way too hard.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Fear of the command line

At least for me.
Preach on brother!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkim View Post
I know you were just kidding, but I hate how in most forums (even this one) the number of post is basically your worth. If you're a new poster, people are reluctant to take what you have to say seriously, with good reason.

Seems like the longer you've been around and the more post you have, the better rep you have. I hate posting stuff just to post to show I have been around awhile. If I have nothing valuable to add then I won't post, usually keeping my post numbers low. Usually meaning I'm not part of the "in crowd." Guess that's just part of forums. But I see less "clique-ness" in this site than in others.

I also hate how people don't use the rep system.
It might help if you had an avatar, it would sort of give a "face" to a name. I can tell you that I remembered a lot of people through their avatar. Eric has the Bucky avatars, CWA had the cookie monster when I first joined, Schweb had the square chicken, MHC had the Lily Tomlin thing, and so on and so forth.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is your tech product wish list? | Smart thermostats »