New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Things That Drive Us Mac Forumers Crazy!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I would prefer it if people didn't respond to threads that are blatant spam, but rather just report it instead.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Some very good points made in this thread. My Pet Peeves?
•People who don't post their Mac specs, or include them in a signature.
•People who don't - or won't - try to find out as much as they can before posting a question [although searching the forums isn't always a simple matter]
•People who knock or mock others' questions or answers [don't get much of that in this forum ]
•Pedantry
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

My personal pet peeve is someone who took the time to register simply to ask when something is coming out or how much something will be or what the newest version of whatever will have specification wise.

That drives me up the wall!

Ie. "So when will the new iPhone be out?", "How fast will the new Macbook's render my final cut project?", "How much will the new iMac's cost?"

Around the time of the iPhone 3G this was rife, and the worst type of this kind of post is the demanding type...

"My mum and dad said they will get me a new iPhone, so when will it be out because I need to get one for my birthday"

I know these posts generally get ignored and I ignore them to, but it does make my skin crawl.

Mel

Ps, and the obvious, posting a question and getting 4 billion views but no reply. I know this happens in any forum, but it can be disheartening when your genuinely stuck with a problem and no other method of resolving it has helped.

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

People whose posts start:

"In Windows I can do X and on the Mac I cannot"

And the only thig worse is when posting a problem, about anything; say for example "I tried to install Leopard update 10.5.4 and have an problem" you get someone say:

"Well I installed it on all 9,000 of my Macs and had no issue, plus I installed it on my entire school and city and I installed it for Steve Jobs too and even on my digital watch and it took 3 seconds and works great"

... shut up...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
And the only thing worse is when posting a problem, about anything; say for example "I tried to install Leopard update 10.5.4 and have an problem" you get someone say:
"Well I installed it on all 9,000 of my Macs and had no issue....."
Oh yeeeesssssss Zoolook! That is singularly the most irritating response ever. Sure, those who say it mean well, but it is about as much use as gumboots on a duck!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Some very good points made in this thread. My Pet Peeves?
•People who don't post their Mac specs, or include them in a signature.
People who don't - or won't - try to find out as much as they can before posting a question [although searching the forums isn't always a simple matter]
•People who knock or mock others' questions or answers [don't get much of that in this forum ]
•Pedantry
This annoys me too. I know this is a forum, and people come here to ask questions and get help ..... but I almost feel like it makes people lazy and dependent. In the last 2 weeks I have answered at least 10-15 questions based on not my experience, but by typing the question into google and looking at MAYBE 2-5 pages.

Oh and xjaguar, I am with you bro, I just got warned as well.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Oh yeeeesssssss Zoolook! That is singularly the most irritating response ever. Sure, those who say it mean well, but it is about as much use as gumboots on a duck!
Many people get fixated on the fact that they just did a system update. So, if the computer hiccups in anyway, it absolutely MUST be related to the update in some form.

It's the same thing whenever we roll out a new Microsoft patch at work to our Windows machines. Even if the patch doesn't actually deploy, but we've announced that we're rolling security patches, I still get the "my machine doesn't do <insert whatever> since the update". A week goes by, I deploy the update late, and no one says a word...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Another thing that bugs me, more as a Mac user than as a general forum thing:

Icons on the desktop.

C'mon guys. You have the dock for a reason. If you're really good, you've also got QuickSilver and Spotlight.

Almost as bad is docks with programs that are never used in it. I mean, how many times do you actually use iWeb?

Grrrrrr.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
I would prefer it if people didn't respond to threads that are blatant spam, but rather just report it instead.
Amen!

And Derek, not even a Hard Drive icon on the desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Amen!

And Derek, not even a Hard Drive icon on the desktop?
Okay. Fine. I'll allow removable media too.

Hard drives and removable media are okay folks.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Another thing that bugs me, more as a Mac user than as a general forum thing:

Icons on the desktop.
Really? I've always viewed the "desk top" as my work space. So, anything that I'm actively working on goes there - until I'm done working on it of course.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Lately it's been this vBulletin message:
Quote:
This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between searches. Please try again in 19 seconds.
If it is 25 or 20 seconds, fine, but don't lie to me!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Really? I've always viewed the "desk top" as my work space. So, anything that I'm actively working on goes there - until I'm done working on it of course.
I am the same way. I do like to keep the desktop clean but when working on some things I have them on the desktop till I am finished with them then they are moved back to folders on the Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I also thought of another one: people who have just plain STUPID signatures.

I'm not going to name any though, although I do know a few.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTeeple View Post
I also thought of another one: people who have just plain STUPID signatures.

I'm not going to name any though, although I do know a few.
PM me with your list.

I'm curious.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is your tech product wish list? | Smart thermostats »