New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Market Reaction to new Notebooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Looks like the general public, or at least general investors, are not too happy with the new notebooks. Typically the stock goes up significantly the same day as a big announcement like this, but today is went down significantly.

Maybe people were hoping for a more affordable computer in a time of economic strain, but Apple didn't do anything to react to the economy, which will likely be this way for a while and cause sales of higher end systems like theirs to fall sharply. I'm sure Dell and others will be appy to get some of that market share Apple stole back when people go for bargain systems to save money.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
chriswright101

chriswright101 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ

I wouldn't say that's the reaction at all.
It seems a lot of people, like myself, are very excited about these new aluminium MacBooks but were desperately hoping for something more affordable. Especially seeing as we're going through an economic crisis.
Granted, a few people aren't too keen on the new model, but that was the case with the iPhone and the original MacBook Pro. They certainly won over their critics.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswright101 View Post
I wouldn't say that's the reaction at all.
It seems a lot of people, like myself, are very excited about these new aluminium MacBooks but were desperately hoping for something more affordable. Especially seeing as we're going through an economic crisis.
Granted, a few people aren't too keen on the new model, but that was the case with the iPhone and the original MacBook Pro. They certainly won over their critics.
He's talking about Apple's investors and Apple stock.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
zman2408

zman2408 is on a distinguished road

I think the new MB's are gorgeous and I just bought my first apple ever Sept 25th... I bought a white 2.4 MB and I could care less that the new ones are out I am completely happy with mine... but I still think the new ones are beautiful.

My first apple product is this White 2.4 Mac Book I bought on September 25, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
jamieandhismac

jamieandhismac is on a distinguished road

is it just me, or does the black and silver combination on the new MB remind you of the colour schemes on the Sony VAIO's?
QUOTE Thanks
budafied

budafied is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB

exactly....its like they took away the distinct look of an apple notebook

11.6" MacBook Air Ultimate
PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 S, 40" Sony LCD
QUOTE Thanks
chriswright101

chriswright101 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ

I agree with the colours making them look dissimilar to the apple notebooks that we know and love, but I think Apple are aware of this.
I remember reading a few months ago that Apple were prepared to suffer a loss for a brief period of time with their 'future products'. I can guess we could infer that so great is their confidence in the new notebooks that they're going to absorb the brief spell of speculation, and then just wait for the orders to flood in.
My order will be on there for certain! Spent the past few hours thinking about it, and I'm completely drawn to the new models.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Looks to me like most things dropped today, including the DJIA and NASDAQ.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

Maybe people were hoping for a more affordable computer in a time of economic strain, but Apple didn't do anything to react to the economy, which will likely be this way for a while and cause sales of higher end systems like theirs to fall sharply. I'm sure Dell and others will be appy to get some of that market share Apple stole back when people go for bargain systems to save money.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I said this on another post and I'll say it in here: WE'RE GOING THROUGH AN ECONOMIC CRISIS. I have a White MacBook. Say I want to get a new White MacBook. They start at $1000?? Are you kidding me? I love the new look of the MacBook because it reminds me of the older powerbooks which I adore, so I don't have complaints there. But seriously, MAKE APPLE MORE AFFORDABLE TO THE MIDDLE CLASS. Most middle-class folk I talk to have PCs because they only paid $400 for them. Yes you could reply with "Well they won't last as long as a Mac." For crying out loud, if I was on a strict budget but needed a new computer, I CERTAINLY wouldn't spend $1000 on a MacBook when I could get one used for $550. And the new ones? No click-button? Yeah real smart. Most people have a hard enough time typing, and now you're going to have to incorporate some dexterity skill to point and click by tapping? Not smart. I feel quite disheartened with Apple, the same way they wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a freakin' 1.6GHz MacBook Air. They gaffed up big today and they had a stranglehold on the PC market, but this lets the PC back in the game. I could get two Dell Inspiron laptops for the cost of 1 new MacBook. I don't know, I always thought spending over $1000 on a laptop was ridiculous but I guess that's just me.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

How does the old adage go? Buy on rumor, sell on news.

It's not unusual for Apple's stock to take a pounding after a new product release. Then, as the products start selling, the stock goes right up. Personally, I think a lot of the reason for this pounding was the rumor about the sub-$1000 notebook. If Apple competed in that segment, they'd be taking a heck of a lot more market share.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

They should've done something real creative like car dealerships do:
1. "Apple Loyalty" : If you have had an Apple for longer than 5 years, take a few hundred off.
2. "Trade in your PC for an Apple" : Depending on the notebook, trade in your PC and get an Apple laptop real cheap.

....Would've been genius.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
They should've done something real creative like car dealerships do:
1. "Apple Loyalty" : If you have had an Apple for longer than 5 years, take a few hundred off.
2. "Trade in your PC for an Apple" : Depending on the notebook, trade in your PC and get an Apple laptop real cheap.

....Would've been genius.
Why though? They are not hurting for sales. I was in the Apple store today, and there were a TON of people in there, they were selling left and right, and that was at 8pm. I guarantee that they will not have any problems selling the new MB's and MBP's.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I like the idea of 5x better graphics, but they don't look like Apple Notebooks.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTeeple View Post
I like the idea of 5x better graphics, but they don't look like Apple Notebooks.
Correction... they don't look like Apple's current notebooks. But why should they? They use the same design language as the iPhone, iMac and the MacBook Air. They look completely at home in the context of the full line-up.

I think people just need to sleep on it. They're used to looking at designs that date back to the G4 iBook and Powerbook G4. They're different, they're supposed to be. Mark my words, the entire industry will be copying them in just a few months. Apple is always the trendsetter and these designs are no different.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Correction... they don't look like Apple's current notebooks. But why should they? They use the same design language as the iPhone, iMac and the MacBook Air. They look completely at home in the context of the full line-up.

I think people just need to sleep on it. They're used to looking at designs that date back to the G4 iBook and Powerbook G4. They're different, they're supposed to be. Mark my words, the entire industry will be copying them in just a few months. Apple is always the trendsetter and these designs are no different.
I could not agree with this more!!!!!!!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm Giddy Like a Schoolgirl | Happy Birthday Macman! »