New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Rolling bag for MacBook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ivoryandgold

ivoryandgold is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G

Tuesday is the day I will be getting my first Mac (unless, of course, the new notebooks don't actually ship until after the 14th) and I am fairly certain I'll be getting the MacBook Pro. Assuming Apple hasn't produced a 13" MBP, I'll be getting the 15" which means I need a new way of toting my computer around.

I have various notebook sleeves, but all are for smaller (12-13") notebooks. I don't think a MBP would even fit comfortably in my current backpack. My question is this: how many of you would feel comfortable rolling your MB or MBP around in a wheeled laptop bag 3-4 days out of each week?

I bought such a rolling bag a while back but use it mainly to carry heavy textbooks to and from school. I never hesitated to carry my old 12" Windows book in it, but the idea of having my brand new MBP bumping along behind me makes me slightly uncomfortable.

If not the rolling bag, what other sort of carrying device could I obtain that wouldn't kill my budget or my back?

Faithful user of OS X since 15 October 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Its a lot of personal preference. When looking for a bag I went to 3 or 4 different stores before i made a decision.
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears34 View Post
Its a lot of personal preference. When looking for a bag I went to 3 or 4 different stores before i made a decision.
This is true. It's probably the reason I've gone through so many different backpacks. I'm just curious how other people feel about using rolling bags for their computers. I have this idea that rolling a computer around day after day could cause some physical damage, but maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

I use a TravelPro rolling bag all the time. I put my 15" Macbook Po inside a neoprene sleeve and place it in one of the pockets, never in the back portion of the bag next to the where the handle comes into the bag (hope that makes sense). I also carry my DSLR camera and 3 lenses in the same bag, plus accessories.

This method has never resulted in any issues with the Macbook or the camera gear.
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

As long as the computer is in it's own personal sleeve before its in the rolling bag it should be fine kind of like how bluegrass explained. But after that it's personal preference. I personally would never get a rolling bag just because of the fact I hate them with a passion lol But my friends hate shoulder bags (man purses) and I love them hahah so it's all personal.
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
I use a TravelPro rolling bag all the time. I put my 15" Macbook Po inside a neoprene sleeve and place it in one of the pockets, never in the back portion of the bag next to the where the handle comes into the bag (hope that makes sense). I also carry my DSLR camera and 3 lenses in the same bag, plus accessories.

This method has never resulted in any issues with the Macbook or the camera gear.
This is good to know. I intend to get a sleeve and possibly an Incase hardshell too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
As long as the computer is in it's own personal sleeve before its in the rolling bag it should be fine kind of like how bluegrass explained. But after that it's personal preference. I personally would never get a rolling bag just because of the fact I hate them with a passion lol But my friends hate shoulder bags (man purses) and I love them hahah so it's all personal.
I sort of dislike rolling bags too, but I may end up needing to use mine if I find that carrying my MBP + books every day takes too much of a toll on my back. As an alternative, I'm considering getting one of those sleeves that has a shoulder strap so that maybe I could carry my backpack and then have my computer in a separate, lightweight case which could be easily carried in my free hand.

QUOTE Thanks
Spork

So you're saying you now want a shoulder bag and a separate bag for your macbook pro? If so I just came across this like 15 mins ago looking for stuff for my macbook hahaha.

MacCase 15" MacBook Pro V_Carbon BriefCase - Carbon Black 4400
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

Quote:
So you're saying you now want a shoulder bag and a separate bag for your macbook pro? If so I just came across this like 15 mins ago looking for stuff for my macbook hahaha.

MacCase 15" MacBook Pro V_Carbon BriefCase - Carbon Black 4400
I'm having trouble deciding what the best case solution is, so maybe I'll use my geeky rolling bag, maybe I won't. Thanks for the link. That case looks pretty nifty; it seems to be very protective.

QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Hahah I said the same thing when I saw that "Wow I bet that would last a 15 foot drop" lol

But yeah what I'm going to be doing when I start my first year of college in January is just a plain simple Jansport Backpack and then a Belkin case like this, Belkin Neoprene Black Sleeve for MacBook Air F8N065-BLK

Thats for an air but it's just used an an example anways it will keep my macbook safe inside a case which is safe inside a backpack from all the other books and stuff in my backpack.
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

Quote:
Hahah I said the same thing when I saw that "Wow I bet that would last a 15 foot drop" lol

But yeah what I'm going to be doing when I start my first year of college in January is just a plain simple Jansport Backpack and then a Belkin case like this, Belkin Neoprene Black Sleeve for MacBook Air F8N065-BLK

Thats for an air but it's just used an an example anways it will keep my macbook safe inside a case which is safe inside a backpack from all the other books and stuff in my backpack.
Yeah, that's what I did with my old Windows notebook. Hrmm...I think I'm going to measure my backpack. If the MacBook Pro will fit in it, maybe I'll just use that. I have way too many bags and backpacks as it is. If my computer is the only heavy thing in my bag, I think it might just work. Thankfully, Computer Science majors tend to not need our books with us during classes.

QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Hahah yeah really. I already have the 4 classes picked out im taking this up and coming semester and 3 of them involve me on my laptop, so stoked =]

Also it should fit in any backpack if you turn it vertical, that is unless you dont mind it being vertical. I don't see a problem with it if you have a case for it but if not idkmybffjill?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

my MBP fits in my daypack with plenty of room to spare, it's not that much bigger (cm³ wise) than my old t41 thinkpad. My T61p is HUGE in comparison to the MBP.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

I just measured the inside of the bag and it seems like it should work. It looks like there will be a few inches to spare in height (with the MBP put in vertically). It might take up most of the width of the bag, but that should be okay.

QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

When I bought my MacBook, the guy there suggested a whole bunch of different bags. I have an Incase bag. It's environmentally friendly, and it's really protective, there are a couple of extra pockets for your mouse or charger too.

I highly recommend it. But in the end, it comes down to personal preference. Check the sales thread, I saw a thread for selling laptop bags there.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTeeple View Post
Check the sales thread, I saw a thread for selling laptop bags there.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« does Star Wars Empire At War work on my machine? | Two birthdays today! »