New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

iPhone or HTC Diamond?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Hi guys,

My Motorola E6 finally gave in.. so.. I need help deciding on the phones to get.

I currently own a 1st Gen 16GB iPod Touch, and love the music, podcasts, email, addressbook and calendar syncing but I'm mainly worried about the battery life if I decide to get an iPhone 3G. (3G is a MUST for me)

On the other hand, If i get a HTC Diamond, I doubt I'll be able to sync my other junk into it with itunes right? The pricing for the HTC diamond sounds pretty good too.

Am living in Malaysia, so.. I can only get an unlocked version of the iPhone which costs like USD1300. ( I know, madness ) Whereby the HTC Diamond costs USD780. Phones in Malaysia are all actually unlocked.

Main usage for these would be emailing, music, web, and gps. Not a calling kind of person. And well.. I dont want to carry too many expensive devices on me. The chances of getting mugged in Malaysia is pretty high..

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Looks like you've already laid out which is the best phone. Go for the Diamond.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

i did not think the diamond screen was daylight readable. the screen is very small too.

on the positive side the diamond using win mobile has thousands of third part applications so one way or another you will be able to do what you want.

consider the google phones?
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Def go with the HTC Diamond.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Get the iPhone and ditch the iPod Touch. That's one less thing to carry. You already know you like the software. It's widely regarded as a better phone than the Diamond. The only thing the Diamond has going in its favor is price (that iPhone price is pretty hard to swallow, I must admit), and there's less chance of being mugged (who REALLY wants a Windows Mobile-based phone?).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

Funnily enough I was playing with my sis-in-laws Diamond last night. Interface is ok - not a good as the iPhone.

I usually steer clear of Microsoft software (Windows Mobile in the case of the Diamond) and sure enough when I launched the web browser the phone crashed and the battery had to come out!

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

iPhone all the way. WinMo in it's current incarnation is horrible.
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
i did not think the diamond screen was daylight readable. the screen is very small too.

on the positive side the diamond using win mobile has thousands of third part applications so one way or another you will be able to do what you want.

consider the google phones?
I doubt that they'll bring down the google phone to KL, wont be usable here anyway and the phone doesn't have a headphone jack!

Other than that, yeah. I loved my iPod Touch. Would be great if it was a phone. The diamond is pretty hot over here. Everyone wants it. Haven't seen the phone for my self. I hope it has a easier interface. Windows mobile isn't THAT bad. I guess..

This might sound really cliché, I have this annoying urge to get the iPhone. Being a Apple-fanatic and all =x

QUOTE Thanks
jah

-the microsoft mobile is wild, very frustrating
-the htc screen is not daylight readable
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

HTC Touch Pro!

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

HTC Diamond of course, even its looks are amazing. If it wasn't so expensive in my country, I would have definitely bought it, it's worth like $1400 unlocked here, and I don't want to pay all that in a freaking phone.

Best of luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Thanks for the reply guys.

How is the HTC Diamond not daylight readable? I'm always on the go. And if thats not possible. I obviously have to cut that out of my list. Would the statement be true? Or is like, you need to strain abit more to see the screen?

Anyways. If you guys do have any phones to suggest. Please do. Must be able to do syncing with my mac , addressbook, email accounts , music , podcasts and etc ( I'm sure you all understand the drill )

Samgsung Omnia looks pretty good actually.. Anyone seen it first hand before?

One thing I love about the iPod Touch is the glossy screen. Love it! Easy to scrool around. I need to be able to find a phone which would be that flexiable. If there's a kind of touchscreen that has this feature or somesort.

QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytheil View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.

How is the HTC Diamond not daylight readable? I'm always on the go. And if thats not possible. I obviously have to cut that out of my list. Would the statement be true? Or is like, you need to strain abit more to see the screen?

Anyways. If you guys do have any phones to suggest. Please do. Must be able to do syncing with my mac , addressbook, email accounts , music , podcasts and etc ( I'm sure you all understand the drill )

Samgsung Omnia looks pretty good actually.. Anyone seen it first hand before?

One thing I love about the iPod Touch is the glossy screen. Love it! Easy to scrool around. I need to be able to find a phone which would be that flexiable. If there's a kind of touchscreen that has this feature or somesort.
I think some people are mistaken when they say it's not readable in sunlight. IIRC, it has BETTER screen resolution than the Iphone.

Iphone: 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi
Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

HTC: 640x480 pixel resolution
Htc Diamond: HTC Diamond Has Ultra-High Density Display

Do some research first before you take anyone's word. This is an Apple forum so people tend to be a little more biased towards the Iphone..

I hear the touchflo is kind of slow on the HTC diamond. If I'm not mistaken the HTC Touch Pro should be out in Malaysia? It has better hardware and more RAM and I hear the touchflo interface is so much better. Only downside is, it's a little thicker because it has the full fold out keyboard. But that may be a plus for you if you get online/text a lot. I'm just assuming you do since 3G is a "must" for you.

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
jah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkim View Post
I think some people are mistaken when they say it's not readable in sunlight. IIRC, it has BETTER screen resolution than the Iphone.
Do some research first before you take anyone's word. This is an Apple forum so people tend to be a little more biased towards the Iphone...

very well said, do the research.

Screen resolution has nothing to do with it being daylight readable.
windows mobile has lots of stability issues.

i do NOT plan to buy a iphone so i am very interested in you guy's opinions here. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkim View Post
Resolution has absolutely nothing to do with whether a display is readable in direct sunlight.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac & Charlier Die- Its always sunny in PA | does Star Wars Empire At War work on my machine? »