New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Nintendo New Media Player DS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

Nintendo, today at their conference in Japan, announced a new Media Player version of the Nintendo DS. It will feature a way to put music and movies onto the system, and feature an online "store" where you can buy games and such. Hmm, sounding like an iPod, isn't it? It will be released later this year, and early 2009 in the US. It will cost only about 20 dollars more than the DS lite.

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like an iPod Touch? Online store, media player, touch screen. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Online stores and media players existed long before the iPod Touch, and the DS had a touch screen before Apple even started toying with the idea. If anything, this is more likely to be an attempt to one-up the PSP in non-gaming areas since that machine is the DS's only direct competitor.
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

I know, but media players also existed before iPods, but they are now the most popular. I think they are trying to compete with Apple in the sense of media players as well as gaming, because the iPod Touch seems to be focussed on games (the advertisements, anyway). Also, that was a good point you made about the PSP, but I think, as of now, anyway, the PSP is a much more capable machine. (I own a DS myself, but that was because I am too cheap to pay for a PSP).

QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I think it's a pointless update. I doubt I'll buy it. Nothing new really... camera, big woop. Taller screen... so what? They didn't bump the resolution or any other hardware, so what's the point. I was able to play media on the DS when I had my light. Open source utilities helped, but still.

I think they are adding an SD to detour people from purchasing "hack" devices, I don't think it's going to happen. The way I see it, it might help.

I'll buy another when they actually improve the hardware and put more power into the unit. You're just buying the same thing over if you buy this "new" DS.

QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

How were you able to play media? I remember hearing of people using a program to do it, but I'm not sure if it works on the Mac. Please tell me how.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
You're just buying the same thing over if you buy this "new" DS.
Ah yes I agree. Bit I only own the first DS. The chunky silver non lite version. And this just might be the clincher for me to upgrade to the lite. I'll sell my old DS though to partially find it. That is if this is released in Australia.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Shark View Post
How were you able to play media? I remember hearing of people using a program to do it, but I'm not sure if it works on the Mac. Please tell me how.
There's a media player or two for the DS, one of them is called Moonshell. Allot of it works in OS X, you don't really have to deal with programs too much, everything is drag and drop.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

sounds nice. maybe a bit late.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod rebate after MacBook purchase | Gaming news - Blizzard wins $6 million lawsuit »