New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

The purpose of Marketing.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

the sole purpose of marketing is to make you (and me) dissatisfied with what we have now, and to make us spend money. Go out and buy "the latest and greatest"... gotta have the new one. After all the one you bought 4 months ago is no good, it's old, outdated...

We are bombarded with ads and marketing 24/7.... I think the average american sees over 1000 ads per day (forget the exact number but it's high). The number was much lower say in the 50s and 60s.

It's all about - If a company does not convince people to part with their money and give it to them, the company eventually goes bye-bye.

Our goal? Keep as much of our income as we can, and spend as little as we can. (That's my new goal anyway).

The alternative? Overspend beyond your budget/means and be in debt and broke all the time.

-steps off my anti debt soap box now.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

marketing keeps me having a paycheck (oh and probably you as well ). God bless marketing.. even if they do drive me nuts.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

that's human nature.

focus an idea at the masses. make it appealing, and the opposite much less appealing, and you can sell just about anything from toilet paper to war to religion.

as with anything, moderation is key.
i'm not broke. i carry the majority of the debt on my house at this time, but my 10 year old car that i bought used is paid off. if i feel it becomes unsafe for my family, i will buy another solid used car, most likely with a small loan.
i do have a nice tv, bicycle, a ps3 and a few other toys to spend a good majority of my time with - i can afford them and none of the toy/entertainment items i've purchased recently have been on credit.
sometimes though, credit is necessary, it is good to have it available. it's just a shame that many people can't contain themselves and blow it for the rest of us.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

Like many americans, no one ever taught me how to handle money and avoid debt, and to save. I did it my way, and had to learn the hard way. But I am learning... better late than never
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

marketing helps to keep the cost of media down

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

Hmmm, here's a thought.. .

if apple had marketed the mac differently/better? years ago, and not been so proprietary at that time, macs may be the standard today and not windows?

Hey a guy can dream right?
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Marketing drives everyone nuts but it keeps the world spinning.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I thought the purpose of marketing was to hand out free mugs and keychains
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
marketing keeps me having a paycheck (oh and probably you as well ). God bless marketing.. even if they do drive me nuts.

Yes, and you can now get a free $50 gift card with the purchase of two lollipops! Limited offer!

Seriously, I am too young to get a paycheck (I'm 12). Only 2 more years!

I also am drove crazy by marketing, and their silly woeful ways of getting us to spend money. Sadly, many ad's are aimed at people around my age group (early teens to teens) with annoying ad's about being the "Cool Beans With Back To School Fashion". UGH! Marketing just makes us more vulnerable to spending money for no reason, or at least an evident reason. C'mon, admit everyone, you have to have seen at least one TV commercial or ad Somewhere!. I even have, and I am VERY aware of marketing techniques- hence the reason people think of me as 'cheap' and 'frugal' instead of wanting to have 'fun' by watching and viewing ads! So, yes, marketing is a great thing for them [the companies] and a variable for us [us].
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

12 is old enough to work around your community and make money.
QUOTE Thanks
HmmIsee

HmmIsee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
Yes, and you can now get a free $50 gift card with the purchase of two lollipops! Limited offer!

Seriously, I am too young to get a paycheck (I'm 12). Only 2 more years!

I also am drove crazy by marketing, and their silly woeful ways of getting us to spend money. Sadly, many ad's are aimed at people around my age group (early teens to teens) with annoying ad's about being the "Cool Beans With Back To School Fashion". UGH! Marketing just makes us more vulnerable to spending money for no reason, or at least an evident reason. C'mon, admit everyone, you have to have seen at least one TV commercial or ad Somewhere!. I even have, and I am VERY aware of marketing techniques- hence the reason people think of me as 'cheap' and 'frugal' instead of wanting to have 'fun' by watching and viewing ads! So, yes, marketing is a great thing for them [the companies] and a variable for us [us].

Good lord, are you sure your 12 lol...You have better grammar and sentence structure then most people I know. Congrats, and stay in school!!

I'm not sure what to say about the whole marketing schemes they have. I mean I can say marketing is a HUGE part in my life, I mean if you look at it George W. Bush has been playing the whole marketing game with the entire United States for the past what, 6 or 7 years. Yes, I work for the government, (Department of Defense) so Bush's marketing schemes pay my rediculous government paycheck. Anyway, I make 3 month tours to Iraq every other 3 months, and In order for me to keep my Job, marketing is extremely important. Bush has to Market this war over here, and market his idea why he thinks it's necessary we stay over here.

But yeah, I just wanted to point out that marketing is everywhere, even in our own government.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Good lord, are you sure your 12 lol...You have better grammar and sentence structure then most people I know. Congrats, and stay in school!!
Thanks.

Quote:
I'm not sure what to say about the whole marketing schemes they have. I mean I can say marketing is a HUGE part in my life, I mean if you look at it George W. Bush has been playing the whole marketing game with the entire United States for the past what, 6 or 7 years. Yes, I work for the government, (Department of Defense) so Bush's marketing schemes pay my rediculous government paycheck. Anyway, I make 3 month tours to Iraq every other 3 months, and In order for me to keep my Job, marketing is extremely important. Bush has to Market this war over here, and market his idea why he thinks it's necessary we stay over here.

But yeah, I just wanted to point out that marketing is everywhere, even in our own government.

Marketing the war seems incomprehensible to the average person who thinks of marketing as a grandeur of ad's and commercial's telling them about what they are missing out on in life. I think a better word for situations like these ('marketing' the war) might be 'campaign', since 'marketing' reasons for war doesn't really sound right. Since they aren't trying to sell anything to us.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

They aren't?

If a politician isn't trying to sell you something, he's dead

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

I was thinking the same thing. Better grammar than most, including me. lol
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Marketing is insanely complicated these days.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Verizon, why do you hold me back? | anyone do business with hellen books on amazon.com? »