New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

First long drive...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Wish me luck! I passed my test this week and am now going to visit my grandma, 170 miles away.

Thinking about it, that's probably not that far if you live somewhere big like America, but since I live in the middle of England I can't go much further than that, lol.

So if anyone has any tips relating to long drives or motorways I would love to hear them.
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

I haven't got my license yet, but I figured you should probably get a couple of your favorite songs on CDs so that it'd ease your bore away while driving.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by calenerd View Post
I haven't got my license yet, but I figured you should probably get a couple of your favorite songs on CDs so that it'd ease your bore away while driving.
Why CDs when people have ipods?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Don't text while driving! :]
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Why CDs when people have ipods?
Um cause the car stereo is cooler than earphones? And not everybody has an iPod dock in their car.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Try not to fall asleep
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Scary first motorway drive!!!

Don't worry tho, its not that bad, but don't go mad on the speed, remember you only have 6 points on your license before a re-test
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

drive like you stole it
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

170 miles? cake.

you may not even need a bathroom break.

my first long drive, when i was about 20, was from northern new jersey to minneapolis minnesota - approximately 1300 miles. other than western ohio and indiana (which were both flat and utterly boring) it was a blast. took two days, drove with friends, only made a few stops for gas/food/stretching. any number of those bits inbetween the stops was at least 200-300 miles.

did the same drive a few years back in 20 hours straight - drove a 93 cadillac eldorado. very comfy, very fast. would have been a shorter trip had i remembered to go well around chicago - instead i spent a couple exta hours fighting mostly stop-and-go traffic.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

I arrived safe and sound!

Took the iPod cos I've got an aux input on the radio/cd player thing. Reggae got me through the jams on the M25 without too much swearing.

Did have to stop to pee and have a cigarette...

Scariest bit was coming down the slip road onto the M1 for the first time in my life! Once I was on though, it was just like the A6 but a lot faster.
QUOTE Thanks
MacbookWilis

MacbookWilis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)

thats cool, road trips are always fun.

i remember the first time i got my license 2 weeks later i took my first long drive to the beach for spring break with some friends

i have opened up my eyes to a new world that new world is Mac
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Congrats on making the long drive. Personally, I would have been a little nervous about making such a long drive with no real driving experience. Glad you made it through ok.

Longest drive I ever made was about 890 miles, by myself, only stopping for gas and food a couple times. I wouldn't really want to do it again.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Congrats on making the long drive. Personally, I would have been a little nervous about making such a long drive with no real driving experience. Glad you made it through ok.
I did do about 1500 miles before I passed my test. I guess that's not much when you compare it to years of driving, but I think it's more than the average learner covers in 4 months, ish.

Yeah, feels pretty good. Gotta get myself home again tomorrow!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Road trips are a ball.

I once did a drive from San Francisco to San Diego with stops in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, Sough Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North & South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. By myself.

All of it was on US or State Highways and none was on the the interstate system. I took thirty days to do it and saw a lot of the country and a lot of sights along the way. Two particularly memorable portions are US 50 in Nevada and US 20 in Nebraska. Screaming down the highway at 95 Mph at 2 AM with the moon roof and all the windows open and the stereo blasting, stars like you rarely see anymore all across the sky. Another was the Snowy Peaks range in Medicine Bow National Forest (Wyoming) at Sunset.

That was fun....

QUOTE Thanks
mick_aka

mick_aka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

I do wish I lived in a country the size of the US purely for road trip potential, living in a country where you're hardly ever 300 miles away from anywhere else gets a little boring

Europe was loads of fun, but is a little heavy on my bank account
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help in Dashcode | Every 7 seconds.... »