New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Returning something I bought in Ebay. Who moves first?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

For the first time after many purchases on Ebay, I got something that wasn't as described and I'm returning it to the seller. So far the seller is fine with it, but seems to expect me to return the product before I get the refund.

IMHO, I had to entrust in the seller and send money first, so I feel it's their turn to send money before product. Also, because the product wasn't as described, they've essentially broken my trust and I don't want to send it back before I get my money back.

Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
Thanks.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I have been through this several times... You will have to send it back before you get your refund make sure you use a tracking when you ship it. Even if you file a claim (which I don't recommend doing) Paypal will still make you ship it back before you get the refund... Your seller seems more reasonable than most,It doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

If you don't trust him maybe you shouldn't return it. You could sell it.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
Leeds United FC

Leeds United FC is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4

I'm not sure there is 'Who does what first rule' in these cases - although I could be wrong. I usually am!

However, when I sold a mobile (cell) phone about eighteen months ago, and the guy wasn't happy with it, I refunded his money. But I DID ask him to send back the phone first.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

The sheer fact that the guy is willing to refund is a big plus... I never refund for anything regardless... I would say your in a good situation.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I would have thought you'd have to send the item back before you get a refund. That's how it is when you return anything else.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

The fact that the items wasn't as described means the person is at least a little dishonest. Despite how things normally work, I still strongly feel since the seller was in the wrong I should be reimbursed first. Seems like common sense to me. The person did offer a refund, but also offered to give me a relatively small amount back for the trouble. There's a chance that this person was cordial at first hoping I would bite at the discount, but I didn't and I haven't yet heard back from them.

I suppose if I send it signature required or something that I'll have something to take to Ebay/Paypal if I don't get my money, but it just seems like common sense that the first move should be theirs.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

The way I always look at it is how you do things at a store. You pick out what you want. Then when you pay they give you what you bought. When you have to return it you give it back and then they check it and give you your money back. I assume that is what this guy is doing.

For all he knows you are a person who bought a product, sent the moeny to get him to send the product, then you as for a refund and you'll send the product back only to get your money back and keep both. So I see it from both sides, but I think sending the product back first is the right thing to do.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Not to be nosy I would assume this was an expensive item?

Ebay/Paypal 90% of the time always sides with the buyer.So you have that protection too... It's very hard for the seller to win a paypal claim.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
\
For all he knows you are a person who bought a product, sent the moeny to get him to send the product, then you as for a refund and you'll send the product back only to get your money back and keep both.
The only problem with that is that he must have known the product was not working properly when he advertised as working in "perfect condition" and mailed it to me. He tried ripping me off before I had any chance of trying to rip him off.

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Bottom line is that he offered to give your money back you can try disputing with paypal.from personal experience thats not going to be a good idea it will only irritate the seller and could cause delays in getting your refund.
QUOTE Thanks
philipma1957

philipma1957 is on a distinguished road

as long as you paid with paypal and he is 98 percent plus it has 2000 insurance. save all emails and send it. if he does not pay, paypal will give you up to 2000 minus a 15 dollar fee. I have made over 500 sales. I have given two refunds and a partial refund. On one of them a 300 sale the woofer's speaker magnet broke off. In all my years working with large subwoofer's i had never seen something like it. I sent him a full refund and told him keep the enclosure for free will. it is why a have a 100 percent rating. I don't think he broke it to rob me or had a broken one in his house and purchased mine to make a switch. When he opened it I am sure he felt I was cheating him. it was not as described. good luck with your return. Phil
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Happy Birthday Pablophish! | web surfing via generator last night »