New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Hahah Read This!! Really, Read It.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

OK ok...
So I gave ebay another chance and I bought another macbook off of ebay from an online pawn shop because it was a price I couldn't refuse. I was going to erase tiger and install leopard but there was a password that I couldn't crack. The previous owner had left her resume on here so I called her to ask her for the password and she told me the laptop was STOLEN from her. So after about 5 minutes of awkwardness, I offered to put all of her data on the external hard drive it was sold to me with and mail the hard drive back to her. She said she would call me back "to figure something out"......
Seriously, am I going to be out of luck AGAIN...I want to keep this laptop. It's in mint condition.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

xj6jaguar1985,

Whoa, bad situation. Not sure where you stand legally on this or what responsibility eBay has for this kind of situation. If you have a lawyer you can talk to, I would check it out with him or her...

I hope it comes out good for you, sorry for your misfortune...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels View Post
xj6jaguar1985,

Whoa, bad situation. Not sure where you stand legally on this or what responsibility eBay has for this kind of situation. If you have a lawyer you can talk to, I would check it out with him or her...

I hope it comes out good for you, sorry for your misfortune...

Noel

Yeah, I would definitely at the very least, get in contact with eBay. This is fraud at best, and you are now in receipt of stolen property (worse yet, you're now aware of it, which could make you more culpable).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You never know, she may have claimed on insurance already - but yoou have done the right thing and are acting responsably
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You never know, she may have claimed on insurance already - but yoou have done the right thing and are acting responsably
even if she has there are legal problems with possessing stolen property.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

True, it is called theft by receiving, and is also a felony above a certain dollar amount depending on what dollar level it is it your state (the dollar amount being what it was when she reported it stolen), and technically you could even go to jail! Tricky situation indeed.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeels90

Zeels90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)

Hope you can work this out and end up either neutral or better, in a more positive situation than before. Good luck sir
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You seriously need to contact a lawyer.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Nah I don't have to. Her story is full of holes and I'm keeping this laptop.
#1. I contacted the local police department and a police officer and she said the story sounded really sketchy.
#2. The girl's ex boyfriend who is the legal owner of the laptop since the laptop was given to the girl as a gift, said I could keep the laptop
#3. The girl told me she was going to file a police report tomorrow since she didn't report one because she thought "It was out on the streets so she'd never find it.".
....Yeah okay....Lol, it's my laptop.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcltrh View Post
True, it is called theft by receiving, and is also a felony above a certain dollar amount depending on what dollar level it is it your state (the dollar amount being what it was when she reported it stolen), and technically you could even go to jail! Tricky situation indeed.
Ok, but I bought it on eBay. I am at no fault. Things like this happen daily.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
Ok, but I bought it on eBay. I am at no fault. Things like this happen daily.
Agreed. Not to mention that if the laptop passed through the hands of a pawn shop they are responsible for checking with the authorities and reporting the merchandise they receive. Hence why, at least in Florida, they have to hold the merchandise for a certain amount of time, AND get the full information of the person turning it in.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

You must be disappointed. I don't want to guide you on this one because it could go either way. I would get some legal advice from a lawyer.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
Agreed. Not to mention that if the laptop passed through the hands of a pawn shop they are responsible for checking with the authorities and reporting the merchandise they receive. Hence why, at least in Florida, they have to hold the merchandise for a certain amount of time, AND get the full information of the person turning it in.
Hence why I wiped the laptop and installed leopard on it and cleaned it up. Man the thing looks brand new!

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

UGH I have to return it. Uh I bought a "Single user edition" of leopard. Did I just waste it on this laptop?

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
UGH I have to return it. Uh I bought a "Single user edition" of leopard. Did I just waste it on this laptop?
Nope. It's not tied to the hardware as a system disc would be. Just format the hard drive.

What happened?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ugh, I needs me a new phone and you can help me choose! | What's your favorite podcast? »