New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

security software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

km2000

km2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac 3.06GHz Intel Core @duo 4 GB 800MHz DDr 2 SDRAM

hello,

i am a bit of the paranoid type. lol!. i used to have a pc and ran evidence eliminator on it and liked it a lot, i dont know if anyone is familiar with that program but it basically lets you wipe your computer(hard drive) clean of what you have been doing during a certain peroid..it does not work on mac though..

so i am wondering if anyone has seen or used anything like this that will work on a mac?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G;day and welcome to the forums.

Yes OS X used behind a firewall.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Are you talking about clearing the computers cache or did it actually erase the free space on the hard drive?

EDIT: I went to the site and it looks like it does a combination of both and includes Browser History. You can Empty your cach and clear your browser history and then use Disc Utility to 1, 7 or 32 pass overwrite the empty space on the drive for security purposes.

I do find THIS page from their site amusing though...

QUOTE Thanks
km2000

hey, thanks for the welcome!

baggs, ya i saw that page too? they are really going to extremes to get you to buy huh! im not a terrorist or anything, i work with some clients and have sensitive info/work i'd rather have off my computer and clean of my conscious..

i am not really familiar with the disk utility.. is it as easy as you explained it? if so, i dont mind doing it from time to time... sorry for my ignorance, do you have a link that explains the disk utility a littler better? and how i might perform this cleaning of the hard drive? i have some addons to firefox that wipe the cache and cookies and all that, so thats not really what i' worried about..

thank you for the responses, i appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Disc utility is pretty strait foreword and is part of the OS itself. Open it (it's in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder), select the hard drive in question, select "ERASE" the select "ERASE FREE SPACE" and choose the option you desire to erase free space (1, 7 or 35 passes) and click "ERASE FREE SPACE", the system does the rest.

Essentially it passes over open space on the drive and randomly writes zeros and ones to that space. The options allow you to choose how many times it will over write the empty space. The 35 pass option is compliant with US Department of Defense (DoD) requirements for computer security. After that, any data is unretrievable from the drive itself. The only safer way to ensure data is unrecoverable is to physically destroy the drive platters.

QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

I think he's referring to something like MacCleanse?

http://www.koingosw.com/products/maccleanse.php
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Maybe. I'd still trust Disc Utility over that though.

Why pay $20 for a built in capability?

QUOTE Thanks
km2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
I think he's referring to something like MacCleanse?

http://www.koingosw.com/products/maccleanse.php
thank you! thats kinda like the EE i used before, it just made what braggs is saying a lot easier for the ignorant like me

baggss, thanks for the details on the disk utility, ive been messing around with it the last hr and am getting a feel for it.. it is pretty straight forward like you said... thank you..

thanks guys!
i just found this forum the other day, there is a lot of great info here!
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

also try onyx
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nigerian Scams | Happy Birthday Ghostshadow!! »