New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Help with dealing with...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

... Some one who calls in the middle of the night.....

Basically last night (and nights before) some one calls my house in the the middle of the night. The first two calls they just breath, and then the next calls they ask to talk with my Dad. I say that I am my Dad, and the person is like "No, this is Kevin, Give the phone to Mr. Baradar." I would say, " He's not here, he's sleeping..." Then I hang up..

Next call comes, and I start yelling expletives at him, saying once I find out who you are, I'm going to ...(Let you use your imagination here)

Caller ID shows that the number is "Private". and The rest of the night the phone was off the receiver.

This has happened before, but only like three times and it was like a year ago...

So if he calls back tonight, I set up a rig with my phone connected to my MBP so I can record his voice, and maybe I'll get and it will be one of my brother's dumb friends.. and I can teach him a lesson...

(I would let my Dad take care of this but he is on a business trip)

So I was wondering, if the phone company could get past the "private" and get me his number. Or if the police can do anything about it...

Thanks

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Most phone companies will let you block calls from numbers that don't display their caller ID. Look into it, it comes in handy and I have done it before. The phone company and the police are unlikely to do anything.

QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Most phone companies will let you block calls from numbers that don't display their caller ID. Look into it, it comes in handy and I have done it before. The phone company and the police are unlikely to do anything.

Sounds good to me, but don't those people that with hold their number just have to press 00, or some number combination to get through?? I'll talk to AT&T about it..

And what is going on?? Was there posts that got deleted or something?? Cause it looks like you are talking to your self..

I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Ya, it was my other personality gone amuck....

No, the other party will told they can connect if they allow their info to be shown to you. The system will tell them how to do so and then they have the option of hanging u or giving you the info. "Private" won't go though.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You should notify the Annoyance Call Center (AT&T) or use the Call Trace feature (Verizon).

This is what baggs is talking about, which should block them, but costs some money:
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=1764
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I once had an old, sick and very sad guy who hated the world and everyone in it, bar himself, keep phoning me at all hours of day and night because I'd shown him some sympathy for his plight. In the end, despite my repeated requests for him to stop phoning me, I had to resort to using shock tactics.

No, not expletives, but an infrared alarm. The battery powered type, which you mount on your porch or in your garage to warn you when someone passes nearby. Whenever the old guy rang me I'd wave the phone handpiece across the i-r alarm, and then hold the mouthpiece close to the screeching piezo. That cured the problem.

Maybe it'll work for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Well I talked to At&T today, and they said that they will set a "trap" for them, and then they will give the information to the police, Cause I filed a police report, since what they are doing is illegal. And then they will take care of it from there.

And I was talking to AT&T and they said Caller I.D. comes with the ACR, which I didn't know. So I activated that too...

No more annoying kids..

Thanks for your help guys!

I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best buy. | this is funny »