New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

xbox live hookup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stumpleg

stumpleg is on a distinguished road

Ok, this is all new to me and I am trying to figure it out. I currently have a macbook in which I receive full signal wirelessly. To play online, do I need to just hookup the ethernet cord from the laptop to the xbox, or does it need to be hooked up to something else. The reason I am asking is because the modem is not the closest to where my computer would be. I would be greatful for any and all information on how to get it hooked up. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lewwy

Lewwy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM

Needs to be hooked up to the Wireless Router dude..

Either through one of the ethernet ports at the back, or via a wireless gizmo that Microsoft (Xbox) Sell for around £60.

Nothing to do with any laptops. Take it out of the equation
QUOTE Thanks
appleisgreat

appleisgreat is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewwy View Post
Needs to be hooked up to the Wireless Router dude..

Either through one of the ethernet ports at the back, or via a wireless gizmo that Microsoft (Xbox) Sell for around 60.

Nothing to do with any laptops. Take it out of the equation
Lewwy, Thats not true . you can use your laptop to bridge the wireless connection to your xbox... I used to use my powerbook to bridge to my regular xbox. Im almost certain that on an apple its not required for you to use a crossover cable (although I always did). You should be able to use a regular cat5 cable, plug the xbox into your laptops ethernet port. and go into system preferences, go to sharing, and turn on the internet sharing. Tell the system to bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port. That should be all you need to do, let us know if you have any further questions
QUOTE Thanks
Lewwy

Lewwy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM

Whoops, appreciate the correction dude.

My bad for the shoddy information
(although my way *also* works)
QUOTE Thanks
OK Computer

OK Computer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook

wow, i had NO idea you could do that. I was going to agree with lewwy and say the xbox has to be plugged into the router.

does this work with the 360s?
QUOTE Thanks
appleisgreat

appleisgreat is infamous around these parts

yes, it should work with ABSOLUTELY anything that needs plugged into an ethernet port. including another laptop, or desktop
QUOTE Thanks
OK Computer

OK Computer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook

this tutorial worked for me

http://www.nintelligent.net/311-Conn..._your_Mac.html
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisgreat View Post
Lewwy, Thats not true . you can use your laptop to bridge the wireless connection to your xbox... I used to use my powerbook to bridge to my regular xbox. Im almost certain that on an apple its not required for you to use a crossover cable (although I always did). You should be able to use a regular cat5 cable, plug the xbox into your laptops ethernet port. and go into system preferences, go to sharing, and turn on the internet sharing. Tell the system to bridge your wireless connection to your ethernet port. That should be all you need to do, let us know if you have any further questions
While you are correct, we are under the impression the OP believes he needs to use his Mac as a pass through for his 360 to connect to the Internet when in fact he simply needs to find a way to hook it up directly to the router. For all we know, his router is sitting in the same room as the 360, which would make hooking it up much easier than trying to patch it through the computer.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old MacBook Pricing | Happy Birthday (two today)! »