New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Other OS's ? Looking for a List

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Hey! I'm just looking for a big list of FREE operating systems. Other than windows or OS X. I'm waiting to buy a mac and want to try something else on my second HD till i get one. So do you know of any ? Any oother than linux? Something that works on FAT or NFTS ? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

There is Minix but it is very old and it is basicly just like Linux except way worse. There is also FreeBSD witch is also similar to Linux. Linux is veryy good, you should just try different disrtos like Fedora and SuSE. http://linuxiso.org/
QUOTE Thanks
hustla

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppster
There is Minix but it is very old and it is basicly just like Linux except way worse. There is also FreeBSD witch is also similar to Linux. Linux is veryy good, you should just try different disrtos like Fedora and SuSE. http://linuxiso.org/
Minix was the 1st one its not worse it was made to show you about the os n stuff...

Fedora MDK and knoppix have 64-bit versions
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustla
Minix was the 1st one its not worse it was made to show you about the os n stuff...

Fedora MDK and knoppix have 64-bit versions
Nope, you need to straighten out your facts. Andrew Tanenbaum created Minix in the early nineties when other people were experimenting with OSs. Linus Torvalds ran Minix in college and by accedent erased it. Not haveing the disks for it anymore he was forced to write his own OS... Linux.

Linux is light years ahead of where minix will ever be. Minix isn't even a multitasking kernel. Tanenbaum was overcharging way too much and it was not meant to "show you around the OS"
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

You could also check http://distrowatch.com/ as they have pretty much all the Linux distros sorted and will show you how to get each one.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Alright. The only reason i'm looking for something other than linux is because i always screw up the installation with partitioning. But I will burn a few more distros from *.iso's and see what i can do. I remember i went to an anti windows site once and it had a list of 100 operating systems other than windows. But that page i think si gone now. Thanks! I will try some of your suggestions. Any more? Is every OS based on UNIX or DOS? Or is their somehting else.
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
Alright. The only reason i'm looking for something other than linux is because i always screw up the installation with partitioning. But I will burn a few more distros from *.iso's and see what i can do. I remember i went to an anti windows site once and it had a list of 100 operating systems other than windows. But that page i think si gone now. Thanks! I will try some of your suggestions. Any more? Is every OS based on UNIX or DOS? Or is their somehting else.
Its best to get a mainstream OS that can run real programs. UNIX is universal and you can find tons of open source apps for any UNIX based system.

Linux does seem to be the best for the most amount of people. If your having trouble with installing try Mandrake or Fedora core 1 (2 is STILL really buggy)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Suprnova.org IS SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD | What is the first and last song in your iTunes library »