New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

AOL in 1990 or so...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

first time I got on the web as a newbie, I went with AOL...

if you recall, they charged by the HOUR back then.... $2.95 an hour or something like that?

My first months bill was: $120!!!

needless to say I called and cancelled when I got that bill. lol

just thought I'd share this, sort of funny now that I look back on it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

That's about what my cable bill is for Cable and unlimited HS Internet monthly.

QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I saw ISDN bills in the thousands of dollars back then...!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Thank you for your support

Ya know, I should have stayed.. my options would have set me up nicely

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

ah, the days of 14.4

ohh, the days of 28 kbts

wowww, the heady days of 56K

Remember when downloading a 10 meg file was a major undertaking
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
ah, the days of 14.4

ohh, the days of 28 kbts

It took me three days to download a 96kbps (HIGH QUALITY!) MP3 of Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" from Napster back in 2000.

Oh, how I long for the days.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Quote:
ah, the days of 14.4

ohh, the days of 28 kbts

Yeah, try the 9600 baud days!! I really thought I was blazing when I finally made it up the 56K.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You young'uns should have been around back when we had a Color Computer from Radio Shack and the 300 baud modem cartridge. Saving to cassette tape!
Those were the days.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
It took me three days to download a 96kbps (HIGH QUALITY!) MP3 of Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" from Napster back in 2000.

Oh, how I long for the days.
hahaha, nice
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
You young'uns should have been around back when we had a Color Computer from Radio Shack and the 300 baud modem cartridge. Saving to cassette tape!
Those were the days.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Those were the days.
my mom did medical billing when I was growing up, so we had MS-DOS and the cassettes.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

i remember back in the late 90's early 2000's just getting into computers, our parents not using them, we got our internet from free aol trial discs! oddly enough, they kept letting us use the same credit card number, and cancel it before we had to pay each time.
all this nonsense went on for about 3 years 'til my mom started to pay for it (for herself as well), and my friends grandpa signed him up for his birthday.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Quote:
oh yes! Downloading a 4Mb MP3 from Kazaa took about 20 minutes, now I can (not saying I do ) download one in less than 30 seconds!

Leaving the computer on overnight and during the day for a download and praying no one would need the phone. LOL, those really were the days!
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I remember back in 1996 or '97 (yeah I know, big deal right?), and Half Life (TFC more specifically) was huuuuge online... And in order for me to play it, I needed a ~100mb patch to play online..

It took me nearly 3 weeks to download it on a 56k line.. Mostly because every one used the PC, and I had to restart it several times (until Mozilla I believe made this download manager-typed software so you could resume big downloads even if you disconnected).

After getting that patch though, it was totally worth it. Playing TFC online for the first time was one of the best gaming experiences I've had.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I remember the times before Al Gore invented the internet. All we had were BBS's.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« will we see a 13inch macbook pro? | Where do we send feedback about Apple Store retail locations? »