New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Nigerian Scams

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

Has Anyone Ever Been Offered A Large Sum Of Money For An Item That Isnt Worth That Much?
I Have Been Trying To Sell My Canon Rebel Xt And Was Offered 650 Dollars For The Body. They Sent Me A Pending Payment And Asked For Shipping Tracking First. I Know That They Can Cancel The Transaction After I Ship It So It Seems Like A scam!! to Me!

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

What service are you using for the payment?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

paypal.
they wanted the tracking details before the payment will clear

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc.americor View Post
Has Anyone Ever Been Offered A Large Sum Of Money For An Item That Isnt Worth That Much?
I Have Been Trying To Sell My Canon Rebel Xt And Was Offered 650 Dollars For The Body. They Sent Me A Pending Payment And Asked For Shipping Tracking First. I Know That They Can Cancel The Transaction After I Ship It So It Seems Like A [u]scam!![u]to Me!
Sounds like a scam to me. Nigeria is a big cesspool for scams. I've seen it happen to many of my friends. Usually what they try to do send you a check for the item plus a whole lot more and ask you to send them money back in return. So if you happen to ship the item AND the money shortly after, they will basically be getting your merchandise and the money from the floated check and you'd be out for the amount of the kited check.

Usually they wlll give you some story like a relative/friend wrote them a check to buy something and have no means to cash the check so they would be willing to just fill in your name and send it to you so you can cash it and send back the difference.

But in your case they are trying to get you to send the item so they can cancel the transaction before it posts so basically they get your merchandise for free.

Don't fall for it!!!

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

this site should give you some good background for what to look for, and some truely hillarious anti-scam scams.

http://www.419eater.com/

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
fireshaper

fireshaper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook

I had this happen when I was trying to sell something a while back. Make sure that you receive your money BEFORE you ship the item, and make sure that the money is out of Paypal and into your personal account (or cash in your hands) before you think of shipping. I've read many stories where Paypal has reversed the funds because there were problems with them and the person has shipped the item and is out both the item and his money.

If you have a bad feeling about something, or it seems too good to be true, it most of the time is bad. Go with your gut.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

It's a scam, I had this happen to me when trying to sell a Powerbook. It was the same scenario. Report it if you can.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with everyone else. I would almost bet it's a SCAM. I have seen so many scams from Nigeria. I used to see them weekly at one point.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOCtheCat View Post
whats with Nigeria? I mean is it something they normally do there? Try to steal money over the internet?
That's what I always think... why is it almost always Nigeria?
QUOTE Thanks
stumpleg

stumpleg is on a distinguished road

I am trying to sell my psp, and have had 3 people interested. All of them pretty have the same back story, they are somewhere else, buying it for someone else. One person was going to pay me an extra $100 for shipping and the other was going to pay me $260 when I am only asking $180 for everything. I always said when I receive money it will go out, and I also mentioned something about these scams and only making sure it is legit. Funny how everytime I mentioned the word scam, they never contacted me again.
QUOTE Thanks
deathcab1

deathcab1 is on a distinguished road

This is the sort of guy your dealing with

Anyone who has seen the fonejacker in the UK will know who he is, for everybody else...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipna2lJm038

QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Never mail anything before the Pending Payment is actually cleared. I would just cancel their payment and not deal with that type of transaction at all.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
OK Computer

OK Computer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook

yeh, i've gotten emails about people leaving me large sums of money in their wills... Don't ever reply to that crap
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOCtheCat View Post
whats with Nigeria? I mean is it something they normally do there? Try to steal money over the internet?
Its a huge issue out there, but they don't see it as a crime as such, just getting money out of stupid rich westerners

And they don't have computers, just Internet cafes, you can always get them by insisting they download an image or file, they are in Internet Cafes and will always come up with some excuse why they cannot download the huge file you have just sent them (they pay for bandwidth)

Refuse to send the item unless payment clears, if they kick up a fuss, report them to ebay and then ignore all future communication from them

If they insist on harassing you, turn any details over to 419 eaters and thay will take over the job of turning the tide on them, they know what they are doing.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

my wife just got a good one last week, it was supposedly from ebay, saying payment was pending on some chilean bank notes.

obviously we will not be contacting "ebay" with that payment.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shared wireless networks | security software? »