New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

HP Smart Touch PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

Has anyone seen the new Touch screen computer from HP? Looks like Apple might come out with a touch/ tablet macbook to counter, after all. If not, here's the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmlIXsgKaCk

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Cool idea, but I am not sure how practical it would be for everyday average consumer use. Businesses will use the heck out of this for any number of different none-standard applications (assembly lines, factories, warehouses etc) and it will work well on laptops. The touchscreen doesn't lend itself well to the ergonomics of how the average computer user (either home or business) uses a computer so it may not be all that practical for standard desktop applications.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I had a touch screen tablet PC in the mid-late 90s actually, for the most part I ended up using a keyboard and mouse attached. I agree, I'm not sold on functionality outside of specialized applications.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

I'm looking into it a little more, and I found out these things so far.

1. It runs Vista along with it's own unique OS. (Looks a little like the iPhone's)

2. It looks like it would be uncomfortable to use unless you stood up, or had a short desk.

3. I't like a big iPhone only not nearly as cool.

4. It ranges from $1299 to $1499

5. It doesn't take the touch screen to it's full potential. Unlike the iPhone.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I used the previous generation at a Best Buy and figured it would make for a great kitchen PC as you could be more likely to use it quickly while you were walking around. Maybe as a way to turn on some music while you were cooking/eating, or if you hooked up a tuner then you could use it to watch some TV in the kitchen as well.

I can see some fun uses for it, though not as a single, dedicated PC for a desktop as it's potential would be squandered.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Exactly. However, I doubt many people have 1500 dollars lying around to spend on a computer for their kitchen! LOL.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I used the previous generation at a Best Buy and figured it would make for a great kitchen PC as you could be more likely to use it quickly while you were walking around. Maybe as a way to turn on some music while you were cooking/eating, or if you hooked up a tuner then you could use it to watch some TV in the kitchen as well.

I can see some fun uses for it, though not as a single, dedicated PC for a desktop as it's potential would be squandered.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Shark View Post
Exactly. However, I doubt many people have 1500 dollars lying around to spend on a computer for their kitchen! LOL.
Don't be so sure about that.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Exactly, that's the biggest hurdle I see as well. When I was using the computer, I thought it was really neat, but not for the $1800 it was listed for.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I waited almost a minute to just see about 10 seconds of the computer!
This video is a little bit more better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65m5lwwUMV0

I do like the design though of that pc.

Also just noticed almost everyone if not all of them are standing up in this video using the PC. I wonder how it would be to sit down and actually use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

That was a great vid and you can see that it's most useful when people are using it while standing. It seemed very awkward to use when the people were sitting down and doing "normal" stuff, but when you got to showing pictures, playing music, writing quick notes, and playing games, it looked great.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
supermonk56

supermonk56 is on a distinguished road

Yea its disappointing that the touch screen takes away a lot of system resources and it has two usb ports
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems buying iPhone w/ Credit Protection? | imac/cinema display »