New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

New pc !!!! XD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dual!Ty

Dual!Ty is on a distinguished road

Well, I want to buy a new pc BUT i really really want a mac
but i always used windows vista and mac is something completely different so i have a few questions before buy

Can i run games like guild wars and counter-strike source on mac without having problems ?
Does mac supports ".exe" files ? so if i download things like maybe limewire or stuff, does it work ?

the pc i want to but is :

intel core 2duo 2,44 ghz
1gb ram
250gb hard disk space
Ati radeon 2400, 128 mb DDR3

999 euros

Is it goodto play games like guild wars and css ? cuz 128mb graphic memory isn't that good, but it is DDR3

Or maybe the other one i want to buy is:

intel core 2duo 2,66 ghz
2gb ram
320 gb hard disk space
Ati radeon 256mb DDR3

1.299 euros

Is this better to play games and stuff, but its alot more expencive

PLz answer my questions and say wich one i have to buy
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

No, the mac does not run exe files out of the box. You will need something like crossover for mac, or run windows XP natively through Bootcamp (comes with the mac) or Parallels (you buy this one)

There is an OS X version of Limewire

For gaming the more expensive mac pro is best, but check out your country's mac store and look for the refurb store, you might be able to pick up a macpro, with a slightly lower spec for a lot less but still with full warranty

Only buy a mac if you really want one, if your main focus is games, you may want to stick with a PC
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Mac's don't use .exe files, but you can download stuff that works, just get a Mac version.

I don't know which one you should buy really, that's up to you. If you need a better graphics card then go for the second one.
QUOTE Thanks
Dual!Ty

Well, I dont like Mac, I LOVE it XD but i never worked with mac before
but for everything is a first time XD
I dont focus on playing games but i like to play Gw somethimes

BUT my question is, How can i play Games without having the things to do with crossover and bootcamp and stuff

Should i buy Gw again but then for mac or ? the only games I play is guild wars and counter-strike source and some steam games
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

If you want to play games without using Crossover or installing Windows on your Mac you'll need to buy the Mac version of the game. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a Mac version of Guild Wars or Counter Strike that I can find.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
If you want to play games without using Crossover or installing Windows on your Mac you'll need to buy the Mac version of the game. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a Mac version of Guild Wars or Counter Strike that I can find.
You should be able to get CounterStrike to work though, I know we got it working on my older Linux box through wine. And I know that wine can be installed through Darwinports or something similar.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

We need more games on Mac, it's really irritating. I would pay an extortionate sum to be able to play Dungeon Keeper again!
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

if you want a mac, and still want to play video games, you probably have to put windows on it. IMO your best bet is to install it with bootcamp (bootcamp comes with macs, but you need to purchase windows).
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Stupid question time here. Can anyone tell me what "XD" means as used by the OP in both posts? Is it just supposed to be some sort of lame smiley face?

No offense, just curious.

QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

Yes, it is just a face. It's not a stupid question. I didn't know what it meant until a few months ago.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If you are fed up with Windows and ready to try something new, then the Mac may be a good choice. It sounds like you're a gamer who appreciates the trivial, aesthetic qualities of a Mac, but not necessarily willing to make any sort of compromise. If gaming is truly a top priority, you'll be a lot happier with a Windows machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dual!Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Stupid question time here. Can anyone tell me what "XD" means as used by the OP in both posts? Is it just supposed to be some sort of lame smiley face?

No offense, just curious.
Yes it is a smiley

But is it simple with crossover ? is it with payment ?
How does it work ?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you heard of WINE (running Windows APIs within Linux)

Crossover is a commercial mac version of WINE, letting you run windows programs without needing to run windows, I think they have a support forum
so check to see if Crossover supports your games

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Have you heard of WINE (running Windows APIs within Linux)

Crossover is a commercial mac version of WINE, letting you run windows programs without needing to run windows, I think they have a support forum
so check to see if Crossover supports your games

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
To be fair it started with Linux.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Dinner - Tuna Steak | Problems buying iPhone w/ Credit Protection? »