New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

This is getting ridiculous.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
xj6jaguar1985

 
xj6jaguar1985's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2008
Location: In a van down the river.
Posts: 661
xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

xj6jaguar1985 is offline
-1st my powerbook gets trashed by a random drunk person (Got a macbook)
-2nd my Job fires me (I got my job back though.)
-3rd I got a BS speeding ticket
-4th My school payment got messed up so I didn't get the classes I needed.
-5th I'm still waiting for this stupid laptop (Thanks for the help guys, I really DO appreciate the advice.)
NOW...if I hadn't had enough BS in the past 2 weeks, my dad says this to me:
Dad: "We have a problem."
Me: "What?" (Thinking to myself, oh god what now...)
Dad: "When Robin (His gf) gets Cameron (Her 13 y/o son) back, you're gonna have to share your room with him."
Me: *Long pause* "Oh."
Dad: " What's the matter?"
Me: "My room is 13' by 16'. How are you going to get two beds in there?"
Dad: "Well we'll just get two full sized beds."
*Long, long silence*
Dad: " My brother and I had to do it for 18 years!!"
Me: "Ok."
Dad: " Well it's just one thing at a time, we'll add on to the house too so he has his own room."
*Long silence*
Now look, before you think I'm a spoiled brat...If I still lived in Rhode Island, I wouldn't have a problem with it. (I had a decent sized room in RI.) I need my sleep almost as much as I always need to be eating food. I have IBS so sleep is imperative to me. #2. Ok, my room is tiny as it is. I have 10 tarantulas in here, a desk with the emac in here, a bureau and two speakers which pretty much fill up the whole room. There is practically no space whatsoever in here...And now you're telling me you're gonna bring someone else in here? I can't even fit myself in here. #3. I'm 23 okay. I'm not 14, 15,16...I intend to bring women over...Can you imagine that? " Oh yeah, I don't even have my own FRILLY PINK room....Right yeah that's great. If this is the case, I just might get my liberal arts degree in the spring and move back up to Rhode Island because this is just outrageous. And look I'm not trying to sound spoiled, my dad's gf misses her kid...But c'mon..I don't think they're being fair or realistic here.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

 
xj6jaguar1985's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2008
Location: In a van down the river.
Posts: 661
xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

xj6jaguar1985 is offline
Oh, and I haven't said anything because I don't want to look like a spoiled little brat, you know? I don't want to look like the bad guy. I don't pay for anything (Food, rent, etc.) so why would I say anything?

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

 
Kash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 9,385
Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kash is offline
I know how you feel, while I did share a room with my brother for several years, I had my own room for several years after that and even though I had a decent sized room it would have been difficult for me to adjust to a roommate. Other than moving out, I guess there's really nothing you can do except put up with it until the time does come that you can move out.


June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
nackteziege

 
nackteziege's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 44
nackteziege is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM

nackteziege is offline
That just seems like a very awkward situation. 10 tarantulas...? Wow.

You probably should get your degree and move out though; maybe this is a sign that it's time to get out of your dad's house.

New switcher on a Macbook; trying her best to "think different".
MacBook & iPod Touch user.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
I think you shouldn't say anything because like you said it's your dad's house. You aren't paying for anything.

If you don't like it, move out.

I'm the same age as you and I moved out when I was 18. I have an older brother and a twin sister and I didn't like living in a crowded house.

Suck it up and finish school and move back to RI.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

 
xj6jaguar1985's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2008
Location: In a van down the river.
Posts: 661
xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

xj6jaguar1985 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I think you shouldn't say anything because like you said it's your dad's house. You aren't paying for anything.

If you don't like it, move out.

I'm the same age as you and I moved out when I was 18. I have an older brother and a twin sister and I didn't like living in a crowded house.

Suck it up and finish school and move back to RI.
Yup that's what I was thinking.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,915
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
#3. I'm 23 okay. I'm not 14, 15,16...I intend to bring women over...Can you imagine that? " Oh yeah, I don't even have my own FRILLY PINK room....Right yeah that's great. If this is the case, I just might get my liberal arts degree in the spring and move back up to Rhode Island because this is just outrageous. And look I'm not trying to sound spoiled, my dad's gf misses her kid...But c'mon..I don't think they're being fair or realistic here.
When I was 23, I was living on my own in my own apartment working 2 low-paying jobs while finishing off my senior year of college. And 2 years later, thanks to a soft job market, I did it all over again for another 2 years. You can guess from that what my general opinion of your situation is here.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

 
lifeafter2am's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,395
lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

lifeafter2am is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
When I was 23, I was living on my own in my own apartment working 2 low-paying jobs while finishing off my senior year of college. And 2 years later, thanks to a soft job market, I did it all over again for another 2 years. You can guess from that what my general opinion of your situation is here.
Just because you did it doesn't mean 1) that everyone can; 2) that it is an option for everyone. I commend you for doing so, sounds like a lot of hard work, but don't say that because you can do it that everyone can or should. Just because I can work and go to graduate school doesn't mean everyone can. Just because I can live, quite easily, on 4 hours of sleep, doesn't mean everyone can.

Not attacking you personally, I really do commend you for doing that, and you can form you opinion based on that; but all to often people have the "well I did it so you can" mentality, which is a false mentality.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

 
Dysfunction's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,638
Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Dysfunction is offline
I disagree. It was simply expected that I was on my own at 18. Personally, I couldn't imagine still living at home past 18, but beyond that... as an adult, don't like it change it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,915
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
Just because you did it doesn't mean 1) that everyone can; 2) that it is an option for everyone. I commend you for doing so, sounds like a lot of hard work, but don't say that because you can do it that everyone can or should. Just because I can work and go to graduate school doesn't mean everyone can. Just because I can live, quite easily, on 4 hours of sleep, doesn't mean everyone can.

Not attacking you personally, I really do commend you for doing that, and you can form you opinion based on that; but all to often people have the "well I did it so you can" mentality, which is a false mentality.
Actually I can't live on 4 hours sleep. These weren't diagnosed at the time, but I've suffered most my life from sleep apnea and low testosterone (which has a significant impact on one's energy levels). I was reknown for having difficulty staying awake in some classes. And still I did it. So yeah... if I can do it, ANYONE can (ok... I can excuse single parents perhaps, but hardly anyone else). Anyone who thinks they have a good reason besides that, I'd LOVE to hear it.

Besides, that wasn't entirely my point. My point was one should be a bit more thankful that they don't HAVE to do what I had to do. I wish I coulda shared a bedroom rather than work 2 jobs to get through school.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

 
lifeafter2am's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,395
lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

lifeafter2am is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Actually I can't live on 4 hours sleep. These weren't diagnosed at the time, but I've suffered most my life from sleep apnea and low testosterone (which has a significant impact on one's energy levels). I was reknown for having difficulty staying awake in some classes. And still I did it. So yeah... if I can do it, ANYONE can (ok... I can excuse single parents perhaps, but hardly anyone else). Anyone who thinks they have a good reason besides that, I'd LOVE to hear it.

Besides, that wasn't entirely my point. My point was one should be a bit more thankful that they don't HAVE to do what I had to do. I wish I coulda shared a bedroom rather than work 2 jobs to get through school.
Well, that was my point, not everyone can do everything, hence my four hours of sleep example. Whether physically or mentally, not everyone can do everything. So because I am working full time nights, and working towards my PhD then everyone can do it, right? There is no difference between people's intelligences and body chemistries right? Kind of get where I am going with this? I understand your example, but it's flawed logic, not everyone is equal.

But yes, I agree, one should be thankful that one doesn't have to do that; and like I said I commend you for doing so. My father did the same, with a kid at the time (my brother, not me) and worked his way up to be CEO of a company. I am thankful everyday of my life that he gave me the CHOICE that he didn't have.



**Edit: I think where we are digressing is that I am attacking the thinking in general, not specific to this situation.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

 
xj6jaguar1985's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2008
Location: In a van down the river.
Posts: 661
xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

xj6jaguar1985 is offline
Hence why I brought up my IBS. If I don't get AT LEAST more than 6 hours of good, SOLID sleep, I'm a wreck...Horrible anxiety, etc etc...

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

 
Khris's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 13, 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 506
Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Khris is offline
OMG! I could never sleep knowing there was a Tarantula in my house, nevermind 10 in the bedroom! Ugh!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,915
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
Well, that was my point, not everyone can do everything, hence my four hours of sleep example. Whether physically or mentally, not everyone can do everything. So because I am working full time nights, and working towards my PhD then everyone can do it, right? There is no difference between people's intelligences and body chemistries right? Kind of get where I am going with this? I understand your example, but it's flawed logic, not everyone is equal.
Nah, I don't get where yer going. Or you don't get where I'm going. I never said anyone can do ANYTHING they want to do. If I had set my goals on being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, I'd still be bagging groceries for tips or running a concession stand because just off the bat, I flat out do not have the personality or interpersonal skills needed for such a position. But if one wants to be more than what they are now, then they first have a responsibility to set REASONABLY achievable goals for themselves. You also have to be determined to do what it takes to achieve them. Being capable of doing what it takes and having the determination to actually do so are different things. If someone doesn't want to do better, then that's fine too. There are many measures of success and not all are tied to money and social status. But to say one "can't" do better... again I say I'd LOVE to hear why.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

 
lifeafter2am's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,395
lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

lifeafter2am is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Nah, I don't get where yer going. Or you don't get where I'm going. I never said anyone can do ANYTHING they want to do. If I had set my goals on being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, I'd still be bagging groceries for tips or running a concession stand because just off the bat, I flat out do not have the personality or interpersonal skills needed for such a position. But if one wants to be more than what they are now, then they first have a responsibility to set REASONABLY achievable goals for themselves. You also have to be determined to do what it takes to achieve them. Being capable of doing what it takes and having the determination to actually do so are different things. If someone doesn't want to do better, then that's fine too. There are many measures of success and not all are tied to money and social status. But to say one "can't" do better... again I say I'd LOVE to hear why.
I feel like we are on two different wavelengths here. This is getting way off topic though, we can PM back and forth if you want to continue this colloquy.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« college student store discount question | Password Protected Apples »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ridiculous melow71 Apple Notebooks 3 01-15-2008 11:21 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous. Fromasta Flex iPhone Hardware and Accessories 1 09-11-2007 07:27 PM
Parallels 3 ugprade price, a little ridiculous? CaptSaltyJack Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 06-08-2007 04:19 PM
Ridiculous Wireless Question dupressdsu Switcher Hangout 13 07-12-2006 07:01 PM
This is ridiculous brianwithan eye Switcher Hangout 9 08-18-2005 11:17 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?