New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why do macs cost so much?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

It's a question I've often asked myself.
Look, I hate Windoze...I'll be the 1st to say that I do...But think about it..
Maybe it's just me....I got bored waiting for an email saying that this guy emailed me my macbook and I was looking at IBM Thinkpads...I'm looking at T42 and 41 laptops that have 1.7 - 1.8 GHZ with 1GB of RAM and they're only selling for $300. Yet a low end 1.8 GHz macbook with a gigabite of ram sells for $700? Look I'm not knocking either company, I am just looking for some insight of why Apples seem to always be significantly more expensive than PCs.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

xj6jaguar1985,

The first reason is quality. Good quality control costs $$ and raises the product price. The second reason is supply and demand. Just like the price of gasoline these days... I think Apple understands what the traffic will bear and charges at that level. And we are willing to pay it, aren't we?

I read an article today in Macworld about why Apple shouldn't cater to the Enterprise market (Corporate America), but rather should let the Enterprise market should come to Apple. It has to do with the premium value that Apple has engendered with their excellent products, while all those other companies that you reference build for huge volume and go after the Enterprise Market using Windows... hence those low prices.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Actually, my macbook pro is pretty much exactly as expensive as my T61p. You have to compare tier 1 to tier 1.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Actually, my macbook pro is pretty much exactly as expensive as my T61p. You have to compare tier 1 to tier 1.
I agree with this. Most people compare low end PCs to Macs which are not low end. Its all about the components in the machine, not just the speed of the chip and the RAM in it etc.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

This is all true guys...And perhaps that yes Apples are far from low end and are usually durable...In September 2003, my father bought me a brand new Dell Inspiron 1100. With the rebate and all, I think the computer was only about $500. Yeah it had a 2.2 GHz intel celeron processor, which was ultimately its demise. By Summer 2005, the laptop was as good as dead in practical terms. The motherboard was shot so the keyboard wouldn't work unless you had an external keyboard. Then again perhaps it is supply and demand. People nowadays want a portable computer which is why I got this eMac for a whopping $100. This eMac could literally run a Boston Marathon for computers and set a world record. I've kept it on for almost 2 months straight one time, and still it has yet to give me a problem. *Shrugs*

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Here's a good read if you're either a) bored or b) interested.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ta,1985-2.html
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Study after study has shown that if you do an apples to apples comparison, the price between a Mac ad PC is negligible. You only see the price difference when you're not comparing like machines.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
didjaever

didjaever is on a distinguished road

US tech support as suppose to calling India... worth the extra cost to me....

MacBook / 07-2008; 2.4 Ghz / 2GB Memory / 160 HD
Green iPod Nano / 4GB
iPhone 4S / 12-2011; 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
budafied

budafied is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB

The only reason PCs are cheaper is because of coupons. If you check Dell or HP prices before coupons kick in, the identically spec'd machines to apple are pretty close.

11.6" MacBook Air Ultimate
PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 S, 40" Sony LCD
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

Well, they're really not that expensive when you think about it.

Think of what you get. Support, photo/video editing programs, the list goes on forever. When it comes down to it, you would have to buy all those media programs like iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, Garage Band. It's so much better that it makes up for the price, anyway.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

mostly supply and demand. more pcs are sold than macs, so the selling companies must remain competitive on price and compete with others trying to sell the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
I agree with this. Most people compare low end PCs to Macs which are not low end. Its all about the components in the machine, not just the speed of the chip and the RAM in it etc.
While that is true, the question remains why Apple cannot do a $500 laptop with lower specs. I am pretty sure that it could, and if it did, would double it's market share within 12 months. This would be better for everyone, because it might mean we wouldn't have to put up with garbage like Quicken 2007.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafied View Post
The only reason PCs are cheaper is because of coupons. If you check Dell or HP prices before coupons kick in, the identically spec'd machines to apple are pretty close.
Wal-Mart special ftl

--

Other computer manufacturer's all-in-one's are actually a little bit more expensive than an iMac.

QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
While that is true, the question remains why Apple cannot do a $500 laptop with lower specs. I am pretty sure that it could, and if it did, would double it's market share within 12 months. This would be better for everyone, because it might mean we wouldn't have to put up with garbage like Quicken 2007.
Lower your standards and double your efforts .... thats something that companies that are failing do, not companies that are already increasing market share every day. Sorry, I normally agree with you, but in this case I don't. I am more than willing to make concessions with software for a better overall operating system and higher quality of machine. Of course to be fair this is coming from a Linux convert ..... we are bred to make concessions.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I think the simple answer is they have no interest in that market.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apple care or not to apple care... | Apple ipod rebate...exchange ipod for something else after getting rebate?? »