New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

If you could not afford a mac...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mLeroux

mLeroux is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I had posted sometime ago about water falling on my macbook. Sad story...I sent it to apple and as soon as they opened it water was coming out of it, insides were totally damaged.

So, I need a new machine. I can't afford another mac. So my question is, if you could not afford a mac what kind of laptop would you get?

Michelle
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Everyone will have their opinion (rightfully so), but I have had great luck with the Sony VAIO's. They have came down in price the last few years to really compete with all the others.

We have had like four of them and never had a single problem. Great displays. Some crappy software loaded at the factory, but they will all have that to some degree. Good luck with whatever you buy!
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I've got a Vaio desktop and I will second them, it has been a great computer.
QUOTE Thanks
budafied

budafied is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB

Well if you can't afford a mac (i'm assuming even a regular macbook) then you probably cant get a vaio. I'd suggest an HP from bestbuy.

11.6" MacBook Air Ultimate
PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 S, 40" Sony LCD
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

After owning and using various Dell laptops over the years before finally getting a MacBook......I'd save until I could afford another Mac. I think I'd regret getting something else just for the sake of having a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

For the cost of a Vaio, I'd rather get another mac.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I love the design of the Dell XPS M1330 and it's bigger brother, the XPS M1530. Both of which can be had for a few hundred less than a standard Macbook, depending on configuration. They are very well made machines and can be configured with a huge range of options to suit just about any budget. The only problem would be that you're pretty much stuck with Vista at this point, although I'm sure you could probably downgrade to XP or install Ubuntu.

The VAIOs are nice machines, but you will pay a premium for the Sony name. Also, I've found in my dealings with Sony that replacement parts can be very hard to come by should you ever need to service the machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Umm, what about a second-hand Macbook? I can only dream of buying a new Mac computer, so it's always 2-hand for me. The only lemon I ever bought was ... an HP! Stick with Mac, you won't regret it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Umm, what about a second-hand Macbook? I can only dream of buying a new Mac computer, so it's always 2-hand for me. The only lemon I ever bought was ... an HP! Stick with Mac, you won't regret it.
Excellent point - and seeing as how Apple has a ton of refurbished models out there, it might be worth looking into.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

For the amount you're going to spend on a stupid PC (Sorry, I hate PCs...:x), you could get a pre-owned Macbook, or powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Get an ordinary laptop. Run Linux, thats what I'd do.

QUOTE Thanks
clamsjager

clamsjager is on a distinguished road

sell all the crap around your house you dont use anymore. thats what i did, i had a stash of 40 gas masks i had from a yard sale a while back, needless to say i got $500 for them. then i also sold my iphone, yea sad huh? but i got $650 for it. Then i borrowed the rest from my boss, and hes taking $100 a week out of my pay till its payed off. only bad part about that is i can get called in at any time now.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
that was my first thought wen i read the OP.

what's the imperative - new or mac?
if new, get a cheap HP that you'll "live with" until you either want a mac or a more powerful wintel machine.
if mac, buy a gently used mac and assume that you may need to replace some of the consumables (battery, hard drive).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

I'd either do without long enough to get a second-hand MacBook, or, if I just HAD to have a PC immediately, I'd pick up an Asus EeePC for around $300-$400 and then save towards another Mac.

At this point, I can't imagine not using OS X as my primary OS, but I'd make due with Linux on the EeePC for a few months to get me through the primary tasks. You could later sell the EeePC and pick up a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
mLeroux

mLeroux is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Thank's for all the replies. I may look in to the refurb macbooks, if not I may save up for another one. I need one for work, but I could wing it for a while longer without one.

The number one thing I love about mac is the security and thats what keeps me coming back.

Thanks all

M
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« gmail down? | Moved »