New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

mac-forums movie club: vol I - 2001: A Space Odessey

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the first mac-forums movie club thread.
please see this thread for discussion of the idea.
checking interest: Mac-Forums "movie club"

in regards to the poll at the top, this is for the next film we discuss. i felt for this list, i'd take a few from the AFI list linked above. Feel free to suggest more films for the next poll in the next movie thread.

for the first thread in the series, i've decided to go for the American Film Institute's top science fiction movie as noted in the recent 10 top 10 list
i thought this might also be a good pick since Arthur C Clarke passed this year.

link to 2001 info on allmovie.com and a small part of the synopsis:

Quote:
With assistance from special-effects expert Douglas Trumbull, Kubrick spent over two years meticulously creating the most "realistic" depictions of outer space ever seen, greatly advancing cinematic technology for a story expressing grave doubts about technology itself. Despite some initial critical reservations that it was too long and too dull, 2001 became one of the most popular films of 1968, underlining the generation gap between young moviegoers who wanted to see something new and challenging and oldsters who "didn't get it."
feel free to discuss any aspect of the movie: story, direction, cast, acting, effects, etc.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

2001 is a great start, great film excellent direction and always a fun watch. Plus I haven't watched it in a couple months

I'm voting the The Godfather, because my wife still hasn't seen it and it'll help me force the issue

edit: Now to go watch 2001.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, it's been some time since i've watched 2001 myself. i'm sure it's going to look spectacular on my new lcd tv

it's interesting to me that Kubrick directed this movie. it seems so sterile compared to many of his other films, though it is easily as visually stunning as the others. i guess what he really does is amplify, in his own way, the mood and palette of the story. 2001 is more vast, a clockwork orange is more visceral and violent, dr strangelove is more paranoid, and the shining is far more unnerving for being directed by Kubrick.

i'm really looking forward to watching this epic again - even those with no images.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it's fun to compare and contrast 2001 with Full Metal Jacket

mike
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i still need to see that - well all of it anyway; i've seen bits and pieces.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

No one else can make England a believable Viet Nam.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

So when do we start talking?? is there a set date or what??

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

I haven't had a chance to rewatch it yet. I probably remember it well enough to discuss some parts of it, but it's a mammoth movie to try and discuss in a single shot.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

2001 was way ahead of its time, and still a great film even today

I don't think star wars - a new hope would have been as good without 2001 setting such a high bar for special effects

A genius author, a genius director, its must have been a totality mind blowing film when it was made (we are so used to CGI and effects now that its impact is somewhat less now)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I don't think star wars - a new hope would have been as good without 2001 setting such a high bar for special effects
completely agreed. considering that most people attribute "star wars" with the real beginning of good sci-fi effects. sometimes you need to look back a little farther. it's kind of like attributing the beginning of punk music to the sex pistols.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

I still find some of the effects shots to be amazing. Take for instance the series of scenes detailing travel from the Earth to the Moon. The attention to detail is amazing. The random floating objects, the oblique shadows, and specifically the scene where the stewardess brings the food trays from one level to another within the landing ship, particularly the transfer between axis', awesome.

Oh and since I'm thinking about it, the zero gravity toilet instructions, brilliant!

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Typical clean Kubric style too, there's some lovely foreshadowing during Franks birthday wishes scene through the conversation with Dave about his thoughts on the mission.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Yay, the movie club has started! I think I tried to watch 2001 a couple of years ago and couldn't finish it. I like Kubrick and a couple of his movies (Lolita, FMJ, the Shinning). Maybe it's because I am too young to be completely appreciative of his work but some of his movies are slow and very difficult to sit though.

I will try and watch it again Tuesday or Wednesday night.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Watch the lighting and composition.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

For those that have it, 2001 will be showing tomorrow night at 4:30 PDT on Universal HD

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bringing on the tunes | Entourage »