New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

.mac - Is this useful or a waste of time?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wish_4_A_Mac

Wish_4_A_Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod

Hello, I just bought a 17" powerbook and very happy with it.

I was just wondering what everybody thought of this .mac thing that Apple seem to like promoting. I was offered a discount on it when I got the powerbook but declined.

I already have email addresses and web space with my ISP so I don't need to take advantage of that. What are the other advantages of having .mac?

It seems virus protection is not really an issue with macs, but I have my powerbook networked to my unfortunate old Sony Vaio that has Norton antivirus with all the latest updates on it (therefore the Vaio has some viruses due to the uselessness of Norton - typical of windows xp based software I know) - so it seems that my Powerbook could get some effect from viruses off the vaio. Does Virex remove these mac-affecting pc viruses too?

If anyone has any experiences of .mac, good or bad, it would be helpful to know so I can work out whether it is worth getting.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the only gripe with having a Mac without Virus protection, networked with a PC, is that the Mac can spread PC Viruses to the PC, yet it will not affect the Mac...So, if you really don't care about the PC, then don't worry about it....You never have to worry about your mac

As for .Mac...my experience has been good with it. It made it very simple to upload photo galleries, iMovies, and other stuff....Also, I thought the most useful feature was the ability to automatically put your iCal(I use iCal Daily...It IS my main calendar) on your .Mac site!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I personally like .Mac and use it often for syncing, bookmarks, etc. I don't use Virex (the new version is really buggy anyway).

I think .Mac will become even more important and integrated with Tiger and the new Sync Services.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dim

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
I personally like .Mac and use it often for syncing, bookmarks, etc. I don't use Virex (the new version is really buggy anyway).

I think .Mac will become even more important and integrated with Tiger and the new Sync Services.

Well with .Mac it all depends, it is pretty usefull if you want upload pictures instantly. I have been playing with it and it is pretty inpresive. You get more space then what you ISP gives you, and the templates are really nice.

Right from iPhoto your able to upload your pictures to the .mac server so that anyone can view them as well as movie clips and so on. Another cool thing about it is that you can use Contribute3 from Macromedia. It connects direct to your .Mac account so that you can edit your webpage on the fly. It comes with some nice tempates you can edit to make it your own. Check out what I did at? homepage.mac.com/diim

I guess if your a professional developer then you don't really need it, you can get by with dreamweaverMx but if your just starting out test out Contribure 3, it's fun and easy to use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone use Verison Wireless? | videeeeo quality using mactheripper... »