New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Stereotype of movie critics?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lazeus

Lazeus is on a distinguished road

Hi guys & gals,

This is just a casual observation of mine when I read movie reviews, whether on the internet or papers.

1. Action, horror, comedies, sci-fi & other supernatural themed movies will tend to get panned by critics, no matter how entertaining the films were to the typical audience nor how much boxoffice takings the movies generated

2. Drama, war, biographical movies will most likely get the thumb ups from critics regardless how boring the films to most moviegoers

I think this observation of mine is pretty accurate because 80% of the time I can guess the critics' ratings just by checking the genre of the movie

Do you think that I'm stereotyping movie critics unfairly?
QUOTE Thanks
STRIKE859

STRIKE859 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5 Dual 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Your argument is mostly accurate. I am a film/video production major and I have taken a handful of contextual film classes (theory and criticism to name a few) and not to sound elitist or pretentious but we are trained to observe and identify elements in films that elevate its quality. These are things most mainstream film critics overlook or just fail to even see. Horror is a perfect example of this... While there are a lot of campy horror films that I can see why they get panned, there are good ones that have also been panned. Critics ignore psychoanalysis, gender roles, and genre hybridity for the most part. While, this is not just reflective upon horror films, but as you mention, action films and sci-fi.

The thing that I always remind myself when I am reading a critics article (or watching) is that they're in some shape or form apart of the Academy. There are certain films made every year that are specifically made to win an Oscar (ie. war films, political dramas, period pieces) that get A LOT of attention and in a manner of speaking "sets the bar". There are films that are just made to entertain, escapism, which doesn't necessarily mean it can't be brilliant.

Of course, not every film critic caters to the Academy. Most of the mainstream ones do. There are independent critics who do turn an eye to genres other than the "Oscar worthy" ones.

Oh man, I can easily write pages on this subject I'll stop before I begin to digress even more haha.
QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

This is why I try not to go by critic reviews. I go to see a movie either to learn, to think in a different way, to have my thoughts and emotions provoked, or just to have a good time and be entertained.
Personally, every time i go into a theater or pop in a DVD, I have different mindsets that I prepare myself for before watching the film. If I am watching a film like Elephant by Gus Van Sant, my mindset would be totally different than watching a film like Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Although these two films are some of my favorite films, they are totally different and I experience them differently.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Yes I agree totally with this. Most of the news paper reviews are to predictable it's not funny anymore. But there is one exception. There is a movie show on ABC tv in Australia. it's the one with David Stratton on it. The 2 people there actually give a good review and critique of each movie.

Anyways yeah it is a little annoying that the reviews don't help that much anymore in choosing a good movie.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazeus View Post
Hi guys & gals,

This is just a casual observation of mine when I read movie reviews, whether on the internet or papers.

1. Action, horror, comedies, sci-fi & other supernatural themed movies will tend to get panned by critics, no matter how entertaining the films were to the typical audience nor how much boxoffice takings the movies generated
At least here in the UK we have Jonathon Ross, who is a big sci fi fan and a big fan of manga, as well as the more serious stuff

But he didn't like Battlefield Earth
"Everything about Battlefield Earth sucks. Everything. The over-the-top music, the unbelievable sets, the terrible dialogue, the hammy acting, the lousy special effects, the beginning, the middle and especially the end. God above, it’s bad. Sweet baby Jesus, it’s bad. By all that is holy and sacred on the Earth, this is a bad, bad, bad film."
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Who cares what the critics say? In the end, it's up to YOU to decide if you liked the film, or if you deemed it purchase-worthy.

However, paying $10 to go to the theater to see a film, only to find out how terrible it was, does urk the heck out of me.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

some critics do lie in the pocket of the academy, and some are reviewing the film against all other films, not how good it is for the "genre", so of course, films like shawn of the dead or garden state, while brilliant, is not going to stand up very well against 2001 or the godfather.

i rarely listen to critics - i have an idea of the type of film i like to watch.

also, like leecho, i know normally what i'm getting myself into, i watched ghostrider the other day for the first time, and it was fun, not really scary, not a great superhero movie, but a nice portrayal of the anti-hero.

of course there are times that my method bites me in the bum. i knew nothing of running with scissors before i watched it a few days back, all i knew of it was the commercials that pegged it as a wes anderson style dramedy. not being ready for it, it gave me a whole different experience, and while it was really good, it left me feeling like i needed a shower (kind of like closer with clive owen and jude law did as well).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Lazeus

Lazeus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
some critics do lie in the pocket of the academy, and some are reviewing the film against all other films, not how good it is for the "genre", so of course, films like shawn of the dead or garden state, while brilliant, is not going to stand up very well against 2001 or the godfather.

Shawn of the Dead! I enjoyed that one immensely, particularly one "mimic" scene

Usually if I'm looking forward to a particular movie, I'll go ahead and watch it first before I even bother to read the reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

I don't read reviews... it makes me pretentious.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
thedood

thedood has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.

One doesn't need a film education to figure out a good (or bad) movie. As a matter of fact, having a B.S in filmmaking and video production has changed the moviegoing experience for me. When I see light "blow out" through a window or other mistakes, I tend to criticize movies for all the wrong reasons.

Myself, I generally prefer the indie film over Hollywood films, however I never bought into the; it's not cool to be into "popcorn" (aka; blockbuster / big budget films) when you're a film student - I have enjoyed many of these films as well.

Bottom line to this topic - As for critics, many are wanna-be filmmaker's who didn't have what it took. So if a movie looks good to you, go see it. FWIW, I won't even get into why ticket prices are what they are.

NABET - CWA <the union label.
QUOTE Thanks
STRIKE859

STRIKE859 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5 Dual 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Quote:
One doesn't need a film education to figure out a good (or bad) movie. As a matter of fact, having a B.S in filmmaking and video production has changed the moviegoing experience for me. When I see light "blow out" through a window or other mistakes, I tend to criticize movies for all the wrong reasons.

Myself, I generally prefer the indie film over Hollywood films, however I never bought into the; it's not cool to be into "popcorn" (aka; blockbuster / big budget films) when you're a film student - I have enjoyed many of these films as well.

Bottom line to this topic - As for critics, many are wanna-be filmmaker's who didn't have what it took. So if a movie looks good to you, go see it. FWIW, I won't even get into why ticket prices are what they are.
I completely agree. There's always a right movie for the right moment or time. Sometimes it's nice to watch a profound movie, while there are other times it's just nice to erase the plumbing in your head and watch a blockbuster/popcorn movie.

That's why I don't see a reason to look down upon popcorn films (like professors and students in my film classes do). I swear to you, I have one professor who will dislike a movie just because it's mainstream, if it's been distributed to more than 50 theaters across the country, it's bad according to him. Oh well...

In the end, all that matters is if YOU like the movie, not what a film critic says or what the general feedback is around your environment from day to day.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rate a movie trilogy or series | My experience with AppleCare mail in. »