I think I need a new receiver for my surround sound...
    Hey everyone!

So, I have a Durabrand H400T "surround sound" system.
    I really like it actually, considering it's the wal-mart brand surround sound.
    It's about 5 years old. Well, for a while now (over a year) it hasn't been working right.
    It still works, but only ONE speaker works, and the sub too.
    I mean, all the speakers work, but the plug things where the speakers plug in (The red and black ones) only work on one.
    When I have all 5 of the speakers plugged in, one works clear, and the other 4 the sound is really really faint and there is a gentle hiss from the other 4. The hiss is normal for when there's no sound.

So, i'm guessing the receiver is bad. Anyone think there is any way I can fix it?

At this point i'm looking for a new receiver on the cheap. REALLY cheap.
    I'm not a fancy home theater type of person.
    My dad has a JVC receiver that's over 10 years old, and only has 2 speakers. Sure, the speakers are new (Sony), and those 2 sound GREAT! Better than my 3 speakers coming out of 1 plug...

I just need something cheap that will work with my speakers.

Any ideas?
    It doesn't have to be anything fancy at all, in fact maybe i'll go and pick up another durabrand or something.

How do you get good sound for a good price these days?

Anytown, USA
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    Sorry, I don't know much about fixing receivers, but there is a good deal on one I recently saw and plan to buy in the near future:

It may not be quite as cheap as you're looking for, but it is modestly priced as receivers go. And for the features you get with this receiver for the price, it really can't be beat. You won't find a receiver anywhere out there this cheap with features like DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD that make it prepared for the future of home theater. You may not be able to use all of its features now, but you also won't have to waste time and money buying a new receiver in the future when you want to build a better home theater and you cheap receiver is lacking what you need. The only downsides I can see to this unit are that it only upscales inputs to 1080i instead of 1080p and it isn't HD radio ready, but you can only get those features on units that cost thousands of dollars. And you can add HD radio and upscaling will not be an issue in the future when everything is already 1080p.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Thread Information