New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

wha? i meant just the time and caution it takes to get into a steering wheel now that there are usually airbag lurking beneath. if it had been an old school 70's steering wheel, i'd have ripped it apart myself.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
wha? i meant just the time and caution it takes to get into a steering wheel now that there are usually airbag lurking beneath. if it had been an old school 70's steering wheel, i'd have ripped it apart myself.
I thought they raised labor costs on you.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

not the rate, but it was 166 bucks for labor alone.
disconnect battery
remove airbag
remove steering wheel and clockspring mounting bolts.
then reinstall.

these guys have always been good to me, when they think they can get away with using refurbished parts, they let me know, and they've given me brakes on things from time to time. it's good feeling to know i have a mechanic i can trust.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
not the rate, but it was 166 bucks for labor alone.
disconnect battery
remove airbag
remove steering wheel and clockspring mounting bolts.
then reinstall.

these guys have always been good to me, when they think they can get away with using refurbished parts, they let me know, and they've given me brakes on things from time to time. it's good feeling to know i have a mechanic i can trust.
I know the feeling. It just sucks when everything starts to break on ya at the same time.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eric

yep. at least the rear main seal was solid.

now it's just the wearing front struts, some slight rust starting to appear, intermittantly leaking sunroof, and a weird intermittant overheating issue that i can't replicate on cue and only seems to happen in the winter.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
yep. at least the rear main seal was solid.
Hey, I didn't take any jabs at your import soccer mom wagon.

Oh, just did there.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eric

nah, it's my family sized, detuned WRX.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
nah, it's my family sized, detuned WRX.

My pickup is family sized. Just gotta drive slow so they don't go falling out of the bed.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Anyone else ever find that you can't do any kind of DIY project without making 10 trips to the Home Depot?

My wife and I got tired of the dark green vanity top in one of our bathrooms. I bought another and set out to replace it. That was trip #1.

Got home and realized that the new countertop was predrilled with an 8" offset. The old faucet was 4". So, had to go on trip #2 for a new faucet.

Pulled the old countertop out and wound up making a mess of the walls surrounding it (caulk tends to pull at the drywall paper/paint). Went for my trusty bucket of spackle, and much to my surprise, it was hard as a rock. That was trip #3.

Dry-fitted the new countertop to the vanity and discovered that whomever built my house had no idea that the vanity needs to be offset from the wall when mounted in a corner. As such, the new countertop didn't rest properly on the vanity. Since the new countertop only has about an inch-wide base around the bottom of it, I needed some kind of shim to widen the base on which it will rest. That was trip #4.

So, now that shim is being siliconed to the bottom of the countertop. After I get done repairing the walls, I will once again dry-fit it (have to wait for the spackle to dry). Meanwhile, I'm reading the installation instructions for the faucet. Come to find out, I will need some way to interface the supply lines with the faucet. Why Kohler wouldn't provide an adapter with the kit, is anyone's guess. I suppose I'll be making another trip. That will be #5... and hopefully the last.

Cross your fingers for me

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
aauurrh aauurrh aauurrh!

manly.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

To build on that, it's amazing how many times I'll be in a store and know I have to get something only to forget what it is. As soon as I get home, I remember. It always seems to happen just as I step in the door too.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
manly.

Are you putting words in my mouth?

LOL....

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Well, after much trial and error, the counter top is now in. What an ordeal.

Repairing the damaged wall went well, it's sanded and smooth. Installing the faucet was a cake walk too. Siliconed the counter top in place and the fit was darned-near perfect (aside from a bit of a gap on the wall here and there, but no house has perfectly flat drywall anyway).

Then I got to the drain.... what a mess. The 1 1/2" sewer pipe protruded from the wall so far that it was practically touching the tail pipe from the drain. I have no clue how the old sink fit there given the circumstances (it must have been set farther back from the wall). I ended up having to cut the pipe three times with a reciprocating saw just doing test fits. Then yet ANOTHER trip to Home Depot for PVC cement (my old can was practically solid) and a fitting to go to the P-trap.

I started right after dinner (about 6:45) and am just now sitting down for the first time (10:25). But hey, I have a nifty new counter top and I look forward to being able to shave and brush my teeth in my own bathroom tomorrow

Now I guess tomorrow night I'm going to caulk and finally finish up the paint touch-up over the weekend (fingers crossed that I have usable paint somewhere!).

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And my wife always wanted to know why I didn't want to do that stuff after I got home from doing it at work all day long.

You're on the down side now though.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And my wife always wanted to know why I didn't want to do that stuff after I got home from doing it at work all day long.

You're on the down side now though.
I don't mind doing DIY stuff - in fact, I usually enjoy it. But every once in awhile, you run into the odd project that you think will take 2 hours and it turns into 2 days

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« International Calling Cards | Complementary iCloud storage expiring September 30th? »