New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

MacBook - Goodbye MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Well the time has come for me to leave the macbook community. I started off about 5 years ago with an ibook, and now have a macbook. After dealing with macbook issues and apple geniuses I have decided the time has come for me to leave the macbook community and go to a windows based machine. My macbook is 15 months or so old now. # or so months after i got it, i replaced the hard-drive due to a crash of unknown cause. I have had a few keys fall of and still haven't found my option key. My yahoo messenger isn't too great when trying to talk to my wife, she is on an hp laptop, yahoo messenger loes a lot of features when on a mac. I am military and gone a lot so yahoo messenger is a must-have so i can talk to my kids. My palmrest is cracked and although this is an ongoing known macbook issue, the apple geniuses are giving me a hard time about fixing it because i am out of my applecare plan. Now just this week my macbook power cord burnt up. The nearest apple store is over an hour away, so I called apple. I told them the problem with the power cord and they told me that since my applecare was up, I was out of luck. I then asked if this was a known issue (I knoew it was due to a little web research). The apple guy on the phone told me that this has happened to quite a few people, but that the number of people with the problem wasn't worth a free fix due to the lrge number of problem free macbooks out there. He then tried to sell e a new power-brick over the phone for $70 or so dollars. Anyway, long story short, I am going back to windows, and will be putting my macbook up for sale in the for sale section within the next few days. sold my ibook on here a while back, so now time to sell my macbook as well. Oh well, have to go computer shopping now. thanks for letting me vent.
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

I can think of some fixes to maybe help your problem. But I will not go into it. I will just say goodluck. And hopefully things work out better for you in the future.

Its time to go...
QUOTE Thanks
gunslinger

gunslinger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 120 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM

Good luck with that. You just think you have problems now just wait till you start dealing with Vista
QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

why not go back to an ibook, or upgrade to a mac book pro?

In any case, good luck, hope you're happy with your decison
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

good luck spending similar amounts of money and more time on your windows machines and windows!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Sucks. Sounds like you got a lemon. Check out tigerdirect.com sometime. Maybe they will have some laptops you would want to look at.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

That's not good to hear but I must say your right on about Yahoo Messenger. When I switched to my iMac and used YM it missed features that I used on YM on my windows machine like Sharing Photos, video chat, confrence chat and I can't save my chat history. YM has a lot of work to improve them messenger for Mac's, so does AIM for that matter
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Too true, but at least AIM works on iChat which is pretty good and has all sorts of dandy features.

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you tried the latest Beta of Yahoo for OSX? Now does Voice, Phone calls and Video.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Pick the best tool for the job. If you think that's going to be a Windows machine, go for it. Might I recommend the Dell XPS M1330 or M1530 (larger screen)? Very nice machines, competitively priced and well built.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Good luck with that. You just think you have problems now just wait till you start dealing with Vista

Ditto to that.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Good luck to ya!

QUOTE Thanks
audiomedia808

audiomedia808 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD

Quote:
My girlfriend just bought a new laptop running Vista. It's crashed right out of the box.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomedia808 View Post
My girlfriend just bought a new laptop running Vista. It's crashed right out of the box.
Did you point and laugh at her? LOL!

QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
Did you point and laugh at her? LOL!
Friend's macbook also crashed right out of the box. In fact, after he registered Leopard the thing just didn't respond and then the crash screen came on.

He and her should get together sometime.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kermit the Frog praising Apple Computers. | Mac magazines? »