New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Mac/PC Hybrid

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rmanders

Hi all.

I am a student at college, and me and a group of friends have decided to do a quite prospective project.

We have decided to combine the cool design and aesthetics of the iMac, with the performance and compatibility of a PC. :doctor:

The plan is to get hold of an Apple iMac, remove most of the parts, leaving the CRT monitor, and anything else essential to hold the shell together.
We will then add a small PC motherboard and parts and attempt to combine the two. If this works, we will install either Windows or Linux on to the system, and away we go... :ninja:

As with all college project, this requires research. We want to know how you get on with your iMacs, and what you think is good about the design.

We would also like to know what you think to the project, and any technical assistance will also be greatly appreciated.

We will keep you up to date with the project, and we hope it works.

:p
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I just want to know why?

Is this an old iMac or new?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Sounds like a troll
QUOTE Thanks
rmanders

It will probably be a second hand iMac tagged as spares or repairs on Ebay, or a reconditioned one we can get for about 150.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well you may have the design & aesthetics but you'll be missing OS X, which makes the machine stable and fun to use...

Don't make the poor mac craptastic!
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

I dont see the hybrid here?!
you want to put PC guts in mac case. thats not hybrid.
hybrid means when its compatable with both systems functionaly.
where the h**** is your superviser

good luck though
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

*sigh* Don't let the Mac fanboys make you change your mind about doing this project. They know nothing, they are biased. You can probably get an old iMac for $100 - $400 USD. I don't really know where, try eBay or PowerMax. If you can afford that, sell the parts on eBay or to a Mac zealot you know, and keep the case.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Absolute Zero.. why are you here? You really don't seem to like it much.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ok, I apologise, I was joking...not being fanboyish...

Anyway, sounds like a cool idea, if you want to you can also make WinXP look like OS X...

I think aquifier is one utility for windows to do that.
You'll be able to add a kick-*** processor to the pretty iMac and still have the looks of OS X (if you want to that is)...

Absolutezero: :p
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
We have decided to combine the cool design and aesthetics of the iMac, with the performance and compatibility of a PC.
Sorry to rant at you like this man... but Macs are compatible with almost all of the software that PCs are, as well as some other stuff, like Word, which always comes out for Macs first. Also, Macs in tests often cream PCs with three times the megahertz rating. Video editors and web designers and artists use Macs because, quite simply, they're faster than any Windows PC you can get.

Cool project, but you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Quote:
The plan is to get hold of an Apple iMac, remove most of the parts, leaving the CRT monitor, and anything else essential to hold the shell together.
We will then add a small PC motherboard and parts and attempt to combine the two. If this works, we will install either Windows or Linux on to the system, and away we go...
Cool, sounds like a great idea man! It should work pretty well. Good luck!

Quote:
As with all college project, this requires research. We want to know how you get on with your iMacs, and what you think is good about the design.
Just so you know, you're doing a project on a 3-4 year old Mac. Most of us have newer Macs (For example, I have a 1.33GHz PowerBook). But I'll try to help you out, as I've seen the model and I've used them a bit.

First, a bit of history for you. The iMac was what first started Apple on its creative designs. Before the iMac, Macs were your typical beige computer, and they really didn't have anything different or special about them. Then the iMac came out, and Apple has never produced a boring-looking comp since (and its OS has greatly improved as well!)

Now why I think the iMac originally did well. I think Apple engineers had three brilliant ideas.

1. Create an all-in-one system. This was a great idea because a lot of PC users didn't like wasting desk space/floor space with two separate bits, and it was rather unconvenient to have two pieces rather than one.

2. Make the iMac simple to use/setup. The iMac setup instruction booklet was the shortest computer setup booklet ever, I believe it was 6 pages. You simply plugged in the keyboard and the mouse and the power, and turned on the comp. The OS was also really simple to use and it was a lot more stable than the Windows version that was out at the time.

3. It was beautiful. The idea of having a transparent, color case that didn't have any sharp edges was brilliant. It created a wonderfully shaped computer. The fact that the keyboard and mouse also matched the computer was also an aesthetic thing that attracted a lot of people.

So, there you go. Put that in your essay or something

Oh, and good luck with the 'operation'!
m1k
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Absolute Zero.. why are you here? You really don't seem to like it much.
I'm here because I thought I had freedom.

But I guess I don't.

And m1k, if he's going to be putting a PC in it and removing all the other parts, does it really matter how crappy the specs are? He is going to be replacing them, after all...
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanders
Hi all.
We have decided to combine the cool design and aesthetics of the iMac, with the performance and compatibility of a PC. :doctor:
:p
performance and compatibility of a pc? unless youre calling almost hourly crashes and system reinstalls and virus ridden a performance, and are mentioning the compatibility of windows to all those viruses, its not gonna be mac like at all, so why waste your time, your basically making a pc that wants to be a mac, but is
running on a crippled os, and cant get up to save its own life. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
And m1k, if he's going to be putting a PC in it and removing all the other parts, does it really matter how crappy the specs are? He is going to be replacing them, after all...
Well, he wanted some answers about why we like our iMacs, what we think is good about them, etc. But most of us don't have iMacs, because they're old, most of us have newer Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
Well, he wanted some answers about why we like our iMacs, what we think is good about them, etc. But most of us don't have iMacs, because they're old, most of us have newer Macs.
I have one, and its the biggest pain in my life. Crashes every 2 seconds, and wont run OS X. :mad:
But I see what your saying.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New toy for iBook? | Super Drive »