New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Resume Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

My employer just asked everyone in our team for our most current resume including objectives. Since I am already employed, what should my objective include? Should it include my company's name? Any suggestions?

I know that employers look for not what the potential employee wants, but what he/she can do for the company. I think I want to structure it this way, but I can't seem to get it right.

Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I want to join a better company!!!

Seriously tho, examine what objectives and skills you think you have that the company either does not know about or simply doesn't use.

Use it a a springboard to show you have skills and ideas that have not been realised
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Structure it as if you're applying for whatever job you want next. Who knows, maybe they're looking and some HR person read in a magazine to size up employees this way. If nothing else, never forget that a resume is basically a sales pitch. Really play up yourself and your strengths, and try to convey that you're ambitious and ready to move up the ladder.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Maybe they want to see who is ambitious and who is complacent. Let them know you're hungry for more responsibility ($).

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Maybe they want to see who is ambitious and who is complacent. Let them know you're hungry for more responsibility ($).
I went this path. In my objective were the words "...rapid future advancement ..."
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

One of the companies I use to work for use the resume to keep track of miscellaneous skill sets. You may have other skills that are not required for your job. A manager from another department maybe looking for temporary help on a project. HR would look at the resumes to see what they have in-house. If a match is found the employee with the requested skill maybe loaned to the requesting manager.

So be care what you place in the objective area.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
durkajosh

durkajosh is on a distinguished road

Have it reflect your future career goals.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

This is not all that unusual.

Depending on how long you have been in your particular occupational field, you will need to determine what type of resume to provide him. If you have no breaks in employment and a consistent career progression, a Chronological Resume will fit your needs. If you have either some break in employment or a series of different occupations in your work history, a Functional Resume that will highlight your skills, rather than a chronological progression within an occupational field should satisfy your needs. Anyway, in this case, your objective should reflect your short term, (within five years), occupational goal. In other words, your employer may be asking where do you see yourself within the company in the near future. Your education, experience, and work history should support this goal. Show your employer that you have lofty goals and ambitions, and the education, experience, and work history to accomplish your goal.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
setta

setta is on a distinguished road

Did you send your CV to your actual job? When? Maybe you should edit a bit your CV and voila
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

I've had to do this before. If your company is trying to win a contract, and the potential client wants to know the quality of your staff, this is one way to do it. Also, if your company is trying to achieve partner status with a given hardware/software vendor, this is a way to do a quick accounting of available technical certs.

And yes, it's a great way to give your boss an update on your skills and abilities, so be sure to use it as a marketing tool for YOU.

Good luck

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tea | Asking to Prom? »