New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot Camp, any good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Molina

Molina is on a distinguished road

I want to buy a Macbook (much because of the OS), but because of my studies, I also need Windows XP on it.
Boot Camp seems to be the answer for me. However, I have some concerns.
My main issue is the keyboard. I do some programming, and therefore use characters like {,[,<, and so on...

This may be a stupid question, but are these characters available from the Macbook keyboard while running windows XP (without external keyboard) ?

Also things like ctrl+c and ctrl+v? Right mouse button is done by placing two fingers on the pad or something? Any other things I should take into concideration?

Hope you guys can help me

thanks in advance for any replies
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The keyboard works exactly the same. Just think of the Apple key as the Window key.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

You should have no problem with Bootcamp with a MacBook, Keyboard and Touchpad will work like normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Molina

Alright, thanks...
Another question...I have most of my music, movies, and so on, on an external
hard-drive...Will writing and reading from that hard-drive using both Windows and OS X be possible? All this talk of HFS, FAT32, and NTFS is getting me confused

Pretty sure I'm getting a Macbook if that's not a problem..Can't wait
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Whether you can read and write to it from both operating systems depends wholly on two things. One, whether it's in a file system that can be read and written to natively by both operating systems. If the first condition is not met, then you have a second option, and that would be to install software that allows the operating systems to read and write to non-native file systems.

So if it's formatted as FAT32 (i.e. MS-DOS), then you're set. If it's NTFS, then Windows can read/write to it, but OS X can only read from it. If it's HFS+ (i.e. Mac OS Extended), then OS X can read/write to it, but Windows won't be able to see it at all.

In order to get OS X to write to NTFS, you'll need something like MacFUSE to enable write functionality. To get Windows to write to HFS+, you'll need to install MacDrive, which unlike MacFUSE, is not free.

Your best bet would be to just use FAT32 as it's the easiest path for when sharing a drive between Windows and OS X.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Molina

Thanks for clearing that up.
I am using a WD passport 250 GB external hard-drive, which apperantly is formated in FAT32...

Well then...Guess I'm off to the Apple-store
QUOTE Thanks
mac2life

mac2life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz; 2GB Ram; Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

Quote:
Also things like ctrl+c and ctrl+v?
When running on a Mac, if you are using Mac OS,
command+c and command+v, copy and paste respectively.
When running Windows (XP) on Boot Camp
control+c and control+v, copy and paste respectively.
QUOTE Thanks
bk4348

bk4348 is on a distinguished road

on my MacBook are not working fn-backspace ( for Canc ), fn-arrows (for Page-up, Page-down, etc). Don't know why and also don't know if for other people are are workin or not
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk4348 View Post
on my MacBook are not working fn-backspace ( for Canc ),
There is no backspace key on a Mac. You're probably referring to the delete key. In this case, pressing delete works in a similar fashion to backspace on a Windows machine. Using Fn-Delete makes it work more like the Delete key on a Windows machine.

Quote:
fn-arrows (for Page-up, Page-down, etc). Don't know why and also don't know if for other people are are workin or not
Try Command (Apple) + cursor keys for home/end page up/down.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help? Bootcamp with Wireless Keyboard/Mouse? | BootCamp formatting error.... »