Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/)
-   -   Boot Camp, any good? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/99872-boot-camp-any-good.html)

Molina 03-07-2008 03:37 PM

Boot Camp, any good?

I want to buy a Macbook (much because of the OS), but because of my studies, I also need Windows XP on it.
Boot Camp seems to be the answer for me. However, I have some concerns.
My main issue is the keyboard. I do some programming, and therefore use characters like {,[,<, and so on...

This may be a stupid question, but are these characters available from the Macbook keyboard while running windows XP (without external keyboard) ?

Also things like ctrl+c and ctrl+v? Right mouse button is done by placing two fingers on the pad or something? Any other things I should take into concideration?

Hope you guys can help me :)

thanks in advance for any replies

Kash 03-07-2008 04:10 PM

The keyboard works exactly the same. Just think of the Apple key as the Window key.

Noxian 03-07-2008 04:23 PM

You should have no problem with Bootcamp with a MacBook, Keyboard and Touchpad will work like normal.

Molina 03-11-2008 04:05 PM

Alright, thanks...
Another question...I have most of my music, movies, and so on, on an external
hard-drive...Will writing and reading from that hard-drive using both Windows and OS X be possible? All this talk of HFS, FAT32, and NTFS is getting me confused :)

Pretty sure I'm getting a Macbook if that's not a problem..Can't wait :)

Kash 03-11-2008 04:17 PM

Whether you can read and write to it from both operating systems depends wholly on two things. One, whether it's in a file system that can be read and written to natively by both operating systems. If the first condition is not met, then you have a second option, and that would be to install software that allows the operating systems to read and write to non-native file systems.

So if it's formatted as FAT32 (i.e. MS-DOS), then you're set. If it's NTFS, then Windows can read/write to it, but OS X can only read from it. If it's HFS+ (i.e. Mac OS Extended), then OS X can read/write to it, but Windows won't be able to see it at all.

In order to get OS X to write to NTFS, you'll need something like MacFUSE to enable write functionality. To get Windows to write to HFS+, you'll need to install MacDrive, which unlike MacFUSE, is not free.

Your best bet would be to just use FAT32 as it's the easiest path for when sharing a drive between Windows and OS X.

Molina 03-11-2008 05:48 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.
I am using a WD passport 250 GB external hard-drive, which apperantly is formated in FAT32...

Well then...Guess I'm off to the Apple-store :)

mac2life 03-16-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Also things like ctrl+c and ctrl+v?
When running on a Mac, if you are using Mac OS,
command+c and command+v, copy and paste respectively.
When running Windows (XP) on Boot Camp
control+c and control+v, copy and paste respectively.

bk4348 03-25-2008 01:01 PM

on my MacBook are not working fn-backspace ( for Canc ), fn-arrows (for Page-up, Page-down, etc). Don't know why and also don't know if for other people are are workin or not

cwa107 03-25-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk4348 (Post 621412)
on my MacBook are not working fn-backspace ( for Canc ),

There is no backspace key on a Mac. You're probably referring to the delete key. In this case, pressing delete works in a similar fashion to backspace on a Windows machine. Using Fn-Delete makes it work more like the Delete key on a Windows machine.

Quote:

fn-arrows (for Page-up, Page-down, etc). Don't know why and also don't know if for other people are are workin or not
Try Command (Apple) + cursor keys for home/end page up/down.