New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Hard Drive Partition Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Farlen

Farlen is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone

I've got problem. I'm trying to run windows xp on my macbook. I just ran boot camp assistant, and I partitioned 20 gigs of my hard drive for windows, and then asked me to reboot my computer. Upon doing so it went back to my desktop and my hard drive appears 20 gigs smaller. When I go to install windows by booting from the xp disc, it only shows 1 hard drive partition. I don't know how to get my mac back to normal so I can try and install windows again.

PLEASE GOD! Help me

Thanks Gang,

-G
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

You dont need god's help for such small things ..... ha ha ha

Anyways back to your problem. When u are booted into Mac, open disk utility and check if the partition has been created successfully. Once you see two partitions, insert XP CD and reboot from the CD. Go through the wizard and when you're prompted to select the partition select the correct partition. If you still dont see the partition then reboot into Mac and open Bootcamp. It will provide you an option to remove BC partition and restore to single patition.

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
Farlen

I checked the disc utility and it only showed up as one hard drive. I created 50 gigs of free space, then ran boot camp assistant, partitioned 20 gigs of the hard drive, but then it failed during restart(I think). Now the disc utility shows the drive with only 30 gigs of free space, but it does not show the new partition. I am not sure how to go back, so I can start over.

Any Ideas on how to restore it so I can try again?

Thanks,

G
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

What do you mean it doesnt show the new partition. If it created second partition then it should appear there. Is it possible for you to post a screen shot of your disutility here. I will help you from there on

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
Farlen

i think the image worked, if not its below. The size of the disk says 111.5 GB and availability is 29.1 GB. before i ran bootcamp assistant i had 50 GB free and then i partitioned it for 20 GB and it told me to restart my computer. so i restarted it and nothing happened. when i checked my HD it said i had only 29.1 GB free.
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

Did you boot from the CD after reboot by pressing the option key??

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
Farlen

yea i restarted the computer and when it brought up the boot option there was a cd that said windows and a HD that said mac. i Chose the Cd and ran windows. when it brought up the partitioned areas, in the blue background, there was only one, which said 111 gb, called partition 1. so pretty much i think i lost 20 gbs some how. im guessing the only option is to reformat, but thats the last resort.

-g
QUOTE Thanks
imazalil

imazalil is on a distinguished road

Hey Farlen,

Any luck?

Almost the same thing just happened to me last night. Was making a bootcamp partition, and after a while of working away it crapped out with an error. Didn't even make it to installing XP. The drive space is gone, and no new partitions are in Disk Utility. Everything looks proper, but 50 gigs of space is just gone.
QUOTE Thanks
imazalil

imazalil is on a distinguished road

FYI, I think I have it narrowed down, after about the fourth ‘disk utility > repair’ try it let me know there was a free disk space error. Had to restart the iMac using the leopard DVD and run disk utility off of that, and run the disk repair again, all fixed up. Though still no idea why Bootcamp craps out everytime I try to use it.

Oddly it didn’t catch it the first few times (probably not a good sign of the overall health of my computer), so keep that in mind should it come up again, mine consistently does this everytime I’ve tried to run the Bootcamp assistant and had it crash on me. My guess is that the wizard moves all the files out of the space that will be turned into the new partition, then shrinks the disk size that OS X sees, but crashes before resizing the actual partition.

cheers,
im.
QUOTE Thanks
jbishop228

jbishop228 is on a distinguished road

mine does the same exact thing. anybody know of a workaround?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Same problem here. MacBook 2.16Ghz 4GB RAM 10.5.2. Bootcamp work fine last I tried a few months ago. My HDD crashed and now BC Assistant craps out during partitioning. I even copied Bootcamp.pkg from the install DVD, reinstalled it and it poops out again. Anyone?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unexpected quitting | Bootcamp, more like crapcamp. »