New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Anyway to copy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mini1

mini1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4/Windows Vista Ultimate

Is there any way to copy the OS (Vista Ultimate) from Parallels? I do not have the Microsoft software CD's as I purchased the computer used with the software pre-installed. It is legit and licensed software (i.e not stolen or hacked). I want to keep a CD in case something happens to the software and it needs to be reinstalled. I'd also like to write Office 07 Enterprise to disc for the same reason.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you didn't get the software discs nor the serials, then it's not exactly legit. And no, there's no way to create a disc from an installation of Windows. You can, however, create a copy of the Parallels virtual drive for backup purposes. If your current installation gets corrupted, you just overwrite it with the backup.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4/Windows Vista Ultimate

I have the key codes but not the discs. The software is licensed to me. How do I create a image or a copy?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

If you have the serial numbers, then what you can do is request a copy straight from Microsoft, telling them that you lost your copy. You just give them your serials to verify that you have legit copies, and Microsoft should send the discs out.

Another option is to just download a copy from the Internet. Don't worry, this isn't actually piracy since you'll be using your legit serial numbers (which is essentially what you pay for when buying licensed software). Think of it as using a backup copy.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I had this problem once with my older Dell machine, where they didn't give me the discs either, it all came pre-installed. So i called them up, explained that i needed the discs to perform a wipe of the computer, and they sent them to me, free of charge. I recommend doing that.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Is the S/N and Product ID code the same thing? Which number do I call at Microsoft to order the software CD's? Are they free?
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

I don't think the Product ID is the same thing as the serial. The serial for Windows and Office products should have about 16 or 20 characters.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

How do I access the S/N # within Vista? I have a 20 digit Product ID number.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If the product code is attached to the computer, and is a color coded sticker, Microsoft MAY help you out. Any copy of Vista Ultimate will work but perhaps your problem will be the previous owner has registered/activated the software, kept the disc and uses the product code do you think?

Always pays to insist on the software discs.
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

No, there is no sticker on the Computer.... It's a Mac not a PC!
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Anyone have a clue how to go about doing this?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

If you only have a 20 digit product ID number and didn't get a 16 character CD key, then you don't have legal rights to that copy of Vista. Looks like the guy did the typical thing of adding a bunch of software to increase the value of the computer, but kept the original discs and/or products keys.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Install problem | Better driver for Trackpad in XP? »