New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Parallels Desktop help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mini1

mini1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4/Windows Vista Ultimate

Hello,

My machine specs are over at left (still on Tiger). I've got the latest edition of Parallels desktop running Vista Ultimate. There is strange error in the Parallels that no one seems to be able to solve. I brought it to the Genius Bar and they couldn't even figure this one out.

2 of my keyboard keys are switched. When I press @ I get " and when I press " I get @. This ONLY happens in Parallels. The Mac side is 100% correct.

I was running ver. 5060 (purchased computer used with software pre-installed... I don't have any of the Windows software CD's) and Parallels kept prompting me to upgrade to 5582. I thought it would be free to upgrade, but now it wants a key to activate. I had a key, but it doesn't work any more. I've got it running on trial mode right now. Once the trial expires, will it revert back to 5060? Why won't it accept my old 5060 key?

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I suspect it might be an interaction with a US keyboard on your MBP and UK one with Parallels?

My Macbook is the same.
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4/Windows Vista Ultimate

Yours does the same thing? Why hasn't this issue been fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

You were right!!! I just fixed it. I remembered seeing that it was set to UK mode somewhere, so I went into the control panel (in Vista) and found the section named keyboard settings. Sure as could be, someone had selected "UK English keyboard". Changed it to "US English keyboard" and bingo it works!!!

Never mind, figured out the answer to question 2. All is solved here.
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

Glad you got it sorted.
QUOTE Thanks
kolevich

kolevich is on a distinguished road

Funny problem...
But I think It couldn't be a real problem for you even if you hadn't solve it by now.. Could it? Just 2 buttons.
QUOTE Thanks
setta

setta is on a distinguished road

Glad you installed parallels! So how are they in use for you?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new virtualization benchmarking results? Fusion / Parallels | Gaming on bootcamp question »