New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Mac vs. PC vs. Windows vs. Linux vs. Huh?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
jtgraphic

 
Member Since: Mar 02, 2008
Posts: 4
jtgraphic is on a distinguished road

jtgraphic is offline
Alright, so I posted this thread on my blog. I'm getting pounded by Linux users, and there isn't any love from the Mac community represented. I could use some help.

Here's and excerpt:

Macs run so well because the hardware and software are developed by the same company. This lends itself to a great end user experience, but winds up much like AOL (donít get me started). Users are confined to the user experience outlined by apple, unless the occasional developer comes along and expands the experience (go Adobe!).

I'm not trying to advertise or anything (there aren't even ads on my site). I just think the guys in the Linux camp are over representing themselves.

I'm at http://www.jtgraphic.net. I'm a Mac fan, but I'm out numbered! Help!

-JKT
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Not sure what help you would need here. It's the internet. Who cares if your opinion isn't shared by all? Just let it go and don't get worked up about it.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

 
louishen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
Location: London
Posts: 8,945
louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

louishen is offline
Your last commenter actually praises the mac for end users and seems very even handed

I cant really wade in with a valid opinion since I haven't used Linux, but do admire what Linux does and stands for
QUOTE Thanks
jtgraphic

 
Member Since: Mar 02, 2008
Posts: 4
jtgraphic is on a distinguished road

jtgraphic is offline
I've used Linux quite a bit, and I concede that is a very nice platform, and the overall ideal of Linux is a great concept. I think it's going places, but it isn't quite as great of an experience as Mac or Windows right now. That's not to say it won't be in the future. I really like the intuitiveness of Macs. My Mac users tend to have significantly less questions than may PC or Linux users - only because Apple did such a great job with the GUI and overall experience.

-JKT
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,970
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgraphic View Post
Macs run so well because the hardware and software are developed by the same company. This lends itself to a great end user experience, but winds up much like AOL (donít get me started). Users are confined to the user experience outlined by apple, unless the occasional developer comes along and expands the experience (go Adobe!).
I'm curious to know just what exactly you mean by this. I for one do not feel "limited" to an experience defined by Apple. Nor do I understand what Adobe in particular has done to "expand" it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,970
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
And for that matter... regarding this pulled from your blog:
Quote:
Trust me. If Apple had as much of a market share as Microsoft, they would have just as many problems with malicious software.
Why should anyone trust you on that? Do you not understand that OS X is simply inherrently more secure than Windows is thanx in part to its Unix core?
QUOTE Thanks
jtgraphic

 
Member Since: Mar 02, 2008
Posts: 4
jtgraphic is on a distinguished road

jtgraphic is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I'm curious to know just what exactly you mean by this. I for one do not feel "limited" to an experience defined by Apple. Nor do I understand what Adobe in particular has done to "expand" it.
The SDK for the Mac platform costs quite a bit. Development in windows and Linux is free. One of the only platforms available for free development for the Mac platform is Java. Because of the high barrier to entry, software development is stunted. Adobe products like Creative Suite, Acrobat, etc. expand the base user experience that one gets with standard Mac software. I think that it's great the amount of bundled software that comes with and functions well on the OS as well. I think Macs are the best platform for creative media development like music, photos, and video, but beyond that, they lack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
And for that matter... regarding this pulled from your blog:


Why should anyone trust you on that? Do you not understand that OS X is simply inherrently more secure than Windows is thanx in part to its Unix core?
Malicious software is a function of demand. No operating system is completely fool proof. The more damage a piece of malicious software can cause, the more "lucrative" it is to develop for the programmer. Just because OS X is built around a UNIX core doesn't make it less vulnerable to attacks - especially from third party software.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgraphic View Post
Just because OS X is built around a UNIX core doesn't make it less vulnerable to attacks
Yes and no.
Yes, you're correct... the UNIX core doesn't make it less vulnerable.

Yet, it is less vulnerable to attacks from malware.
What protects it is how the OS works.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

 
Member Since: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 477
AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

AlyciaAnimation is offline
Quote:
The SDK for the Mac platform costs quite a bit. Development in windows and Linux is free.
Perhaps I'm wrong, because I'm not really a developer, but xcode and other development tools are available for free at Apple Developer Connection, as are SDKs because I've played around with them a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
jtgraphic

 
Member Since: Mar 02, 2008
Posts: 4
jtgraphic is on a distinguished road

jtgraphic is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyciaAnimation View Post
Perhaps I'm wrong, because I'm not really a developer, but xcode and other development tools are available for free at Apple Developer Connection, as are SDKs because I've played around with them a bit.
Actually I think I was wrong. I made that statement without doing (recent) research. I guess Apple released their SDK for open development. Some aspects still aren't free, like .mac integration and higher level ADC membership, but the basic engines for Cocoa and Carbon are available for free.

I'm guessing then that the lack of interest from large developers must be a function of market share. I know Intuit releases Quickbooks about a year later than normal without any network support. I'm in a lurch when trying to find Mac based accounting software for large(r) business.

Thanks for correcting me.

-JKT
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,970
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgraphic View Post
The SDK for the Mac platform costs quite a bit. Development in windows and Linux is free. One of the only platforms available for free development for the Mac platform is Java. Because of the high barrier to entry, software development is stunted. Adobe products like Creative Suite, Acrobat, etc. expand the base user experience that one gets with standard Mac software. I think that it's great the amount of bundled software that comes with and functions well on the OS as well. I think Macs are the best platform for creative media development like music, photos, and video, but beyond that, they lack.
The fact you are wrong about the development costs aside (as discussed by others)...

Well if one "limits" themselves to Apple's software, then of course their experience is "limited" to how Apple defines it. The same holds true in Windows... if you limit your software to Microsoft's software, you limit your experience to how Microsoft defines it. Same goes if you only use Adobe's stuff. There's no rule saying you have to use Apple's software. In fact there are plenty of alternative choices for everything they offer. Stating that [u]sers are confined to the user experience outlined by apple is just absurd. If anyone is limited, it's by choice.

Quote:
Malicious software is a function of demand. No operating system is completely fool proof. The more damage a piece of malicious software can cause, the more "lucrative" it is to develop for the programmer. Just because OS X is built around a UNIX core doesn't make it less vulnerable to attacks - especially from third party software.
I never said OS X is foolproof. I may have been somewhat inaccurate in touting the Unix core as a reason for OS X being more secure (I'll defer to what DB had to say), but the fact is OS X is more secure, and holding to the marketshare myth while ignoring all the many technical articles that detail why it is is just pure bullheadedness. Just consider how many viruses there are in existence for the Classic Mac OS versus those for OS X. It's generally accepted that there is ONE virus that affects OS X (and only if the user is stupid enough to give it permission to do anything). How many are there for the Classic Mac OS? Not nearly what there are for Windows, but still quite a few, especially Word macro viruses. Heck... how many are there for Linux? Well here's the full list of viruses that affect Linux. Quite a few more than ONE, and for an OS with far less market share than OS X. So drop the market share argument already.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« teh sealed apple //c | Ejecting CD During BootCamp Install... »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
My experiences of Mac & OSX miso Switcher Hangout 5 08-09-2007 02:41 PM
iPod for Windows and Mac? MacAddikt iPod Hardware and Accessories 12 03-31-2007 09:33 AM
Windows development chief 'would buy a Mac' SpliCer261 Schweb's Lounge 7 12-13-2006 07:43 PM
IMAC QUESTIONS- Your expert opinons requested Sweej1 Apple Desktops 6 09-26-2006 07:05 AM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 10:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?