New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Don't install vista?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Freddy

Freddy is on a distinguished road

I went to the appleshop and they told me that it isn't recommended to install vista because it still causes a lot of trouble on the mac? So they say i should install xp. Is this true? Maybe someone that has vista installed can tell me if it really slows down the system that much?

Specs are:
2,4Ghz x 2
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Thnx anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

While Vista has gotten better recently (drivers are improved and it's become more stable with recent patches), XP is more mature and more easily supported. If there is something specific you need Vista for - an application that requires it perhaps - then go ahead and use Vista but if it's a complimentary OS (you do run OS X most of the time, right?), then XP is a better choice.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

No just office 2003 and next year i'll need office 2007. Maybe some games too but not often anyway, like oblivion and crysis, if it works on my mac.
So xp is the best choice?
Thnx man.
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

The problem is that my school is upgrading to vista next year and we'll have to be able to work with vista then. So maybe, if i install xp now, i'll have to upgrade next year. So is that possible and easy on bootcamp?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Well Apple does provide the drivers needed to get Vista up and running, and I've not heard of any issues with Macs in particular running Vista. In fact, they reportedly run Vista better than most PCs. The real issue is lack of drivers for peripherals like printers, scanners, and so on. And... since it is much more of a resource hog than Windows XP is, you will likely see a performance hit on anything you run, especially games.

Any reason why you HAVE to use the Windows version of Office? There is a Mac version, though there are some differences in features available between the two.
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

It's office and also dreamweaver. The reason is that i have an exam about office 2003 and dreamweaver. It's an exam about outdated software hehe. And the shortcuts and everything are probably different so i don't want to take any risks anyway.
And probably the most important reason that i won't buy office for mac is that i already have a normal office.

So unfortunatly i'll have to install windows. Just haven't decided which one yet. I can buy, as a european student, vista ultimate with a perm license for only 65. So that is pretty tempting, and it's btw not possible to buy win xp for a cheap price. But i just don't trust vista, it looks too "crowded" and unorganised. It even looks like a resourcehogger!

Thnx for the replies so far.
QUOTE Thanks
joec1101

joec1101 is on a distinguished road

Whoever told you that either just doesn't know or just doesn't like Vista. I have used both XP Pro and Vista and they both work just fine on my MBP. Vista has been out for more than a year now and is very stable. Driver support on the Mac is excellent and I have had no issues at all - no BSOD's, no freeze-ups, etc. I run Office 2003 as well as Excel 2007 under Vista and everything runs just fine. While XP is an excellent OS, MS will eventually discontinue support for it. Vista is also built on the NT kernel (just like XP) and has more cosmetic enhancements. Also, Vista SP1 should be out soon as well.

Either one will work just fine. It's just a matter of choice for you at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Office 2003 and Dreamweaver will run well in either OS. XP uses less space, is quicker on limited hardware and you can probably pick up a retail version very cheaply if you shop around. I'd go for XP. Vista is an overkill for what you need it for.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I second what joec1101 said. Whoever told you that just doesn't like Vista. I also ran Vista for a very long time on my older MBP and never had any issues. Apple was even boasting how well Macs run Vista in their TV commercials after PC Magazine came out with that report on how Apple laptops were running Vista better than any other laptop (that they tested).

However, that said I did eventually change back to XP from Vista. Not because there were problems, but because it just took up too much space. Also, since XP uses less system resources to run the OS, you games and other apps will run faster on XP.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

Ok thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

And how is gaming on the mac?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

As with any system, it depends on the demands of the game. Since it'll run totally native in bootcamp, it's going to be the same as a similarly-spec'd PC. Just look at your Mac specs as you would with any other PC to determine how well you think it'll run.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

Hm nice and thanks again ppl.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp - Windows XP problem | @ in Windows »