New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

About this Mac ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

A friend of mine in the US had just been given a Mac. He is not sure what it is but it is running Mac OS 9.X. Is there an equivalent of "about this mac" under version 9 so that I can find out what he has got and what the specs are.

Thanks.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

If I remember right, it's the same...(been awhile) Should be under the Apple menu, too.
It will have an Apple System Profiler as well. Great for finding all the specs it has.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

There was a thing called Apple system Profiler. I think it was in the Utilities folder but it should also be under the Apple menu in OS 9
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
If I remember right, it's the same...(been awhile) Should be under the Apple menu, too.
It will have an Apple System Profiler as well. Great for finding all the specs it has.
Unfortunately I never used a Mac prior to the addition of Intel processors (my ibook wasn't new) so I haven't used Mac Os 9. The person with the computer hasn't used any version of Mac OS.

I will Email him now to look for the above. Ta

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Run a search of the drive (Command F) for Apple System Profiler.

I have no idea where the default location would be, but the search I ran for it listed it as a desk accessory. As mentioned, it's probably in the Utilites folder, if 9 had one. Otherwise, check the Applications folder.

Click the thumbnail.

QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

Thanks everyone. Using a combination of everyones info I have managed to get him to send me a file containing the specs of the machine he has been given - A G4 733MHz PowerMac with 2x256Mb SDRam

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running Windows on Mac | Leopard with XP »