New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

? for VM Fusion Users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ratc21

ratc21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb

I tried searching but didn't find a specific answer to this question. Hopefully, someone currently using VM Fusion will know:

I'm currently using Boot Camp/Vista Home Premium on a MBP with 2g ram. Everything works great but I would like the option to switch to windows without having to reboot each time. If I use VM Fusion with the Boot Camp partition as my VM, will all of my settings....printer setup, scanning setup, favorites, etc....all transfer over, just like when I reboot or will some things not work? Also, would it be best to upgrade the ram to 4g if I run it this way?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been answered and I missed it.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

I ran BootCamp on my work MB for a year before I installed Fusion on it. I run my BootCamp partition virtually, and nothing has changed. It works great. If you install VMWare Tools, you can freely go back and forth, booting to your partition or running it virtually (though I've booted natively just twice in the last four months).
QUOTE Thanks
ratc21

ratc21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb

Thanks Neo....any suggestions before I "bite the bullet" and do it? Also, did you notice a significant difference in speed when you switched from running native to Fusion?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

read through "Creating a virtual machine from a bootcamp partition" in the Fusion Help before you start. It's really easy, but reading the help file will make you feel comfortable doing it.

difference in speed? Not usually. I am a chronic multi-tasker though, and I tend to have 8 apps open in OS X already when I run Windows in Fusion. I have had two times where Fusion crawled on me. It never froze (which still amazes me), and when I closed a few apps, I was rolling again. Please NOTE, I'm running this on a MacBook, 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM. You should be flying colors with your MBP.

Remember you can set the amount of RAM assigned to your virtual machine in Fusions Virtual Machine settings.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp Vista Question | MS Office for Mac, MS Work and MS Word »