Thread: VMWare fusion

Question VMWare fusion
    HI all, just wanted to know if anyone is running VMware fusion yet- and if so, have they felt the need to upgrade RAM to run the additional environments?

BTW what is the maximum ram that a MBpro will recognise? I see it takes up to 4GB in total.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
    I'm running XP Pro under VMware w/ 4GB of RAM on a white Macbook. On the other hand, my fiancee is running Vista w/ 2GB of RAM under VMware on her white Macbook.

For me, it runs beautifully and has no issues whatsoever except w/ iSight--occasionally it will take control of the iSight and will not release it back to Mac OS X. I've confirmed this on hers as well and the best solution is to turn off iSight in VMWare so that Windows doesn't use it.

The nice thing about VMware is you have control over virtually everything from memory size to USB ports. I allocate 1GB to XP and my fiancee gives 1GB to Vista. She hates Vista but it was cheaper to buy OEM $99 copy of Vista Basic than a copy of XP Home Ed.

The new MBPs will handle 4GB (as do the Macbooks). 4GB can be had for around $100 or so if you look hard enough.

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    I have 2GB and give 256MB to XP in VMware. Runs great for what I do... CRM and other boring business tasks.
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I run XP on Fusion with 512MG (of my 2GB total) RAM allocated to it. Both XP and OS X run fine.

FYI: The older MBP's like mine (2.16 and 2.33 GHz processors) can only handle 3GB of RAM.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    I use fusion to boot my bootcamp partition. Works great when I want to quickly get something off windows and don't want to reboot. I have 4gb of ram and allocated 2 for Leopard and 2 for xp.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    I use fusion to boot my bootcamp partition. Works great when I want to quickly get something off windows and don't want to reboot. I have 4gb of ram and allocated 2 for Leopard and 2 for xp.
    Honestly, 2GB is probably way more than XP needs. Unless you're doing some really heavy work on it, 1GB is probably more than enough. Just an FYI.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

I'm running Vista Ultimate in Bootcamp and Fusion boots it from that partition. I like IE 7.0 so I use that as the browser of choice and I use Outlook for my e-mail so I bring them up in spearate windows in OSX. I have a 2.4 ghz 4GB MBP.

I use VM Fusion and Parallels - both for XP Pro. I have 2 GB of RAM. I would be increasing the RAM to 4GB if my model could take it - especially as memory is so cheap at the moment.

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Honestly, 2GB is probably way more than XP needs. Unless you're doing some really heavy work on it, 1GB is probably more than enough. Just an FYI.
    2GB is way too much for XP

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Specs:
    uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
    Agreed. I only allocate 1GB to it b/c I run Office '07 and a few other apps at the same time. 2GB is overkill for XP but good if you're running Vista.

Thread Information