New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Connection OS X to Ubuntu?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

OK, some help please. How do I connect a MBP with Tiger to Ubuntu 7.10? Say I have Ubuntu installed from scratch and the MBP is connecting via a wireless network.

Can some one help me or point me in the right direction?

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Your post is a little unclear. What exactly do you mean by "connect." And is ubuntu installed on the macbook pro or on another machine?

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

You will have to make sure that ssh is installed on Ubuntu.

From the command line (terminal)
sudo apt-get install ssh

If you use the synaptic package manager, just search for ssh and install both the client and server.

Once that is done, you can open a terminal on either computer and type

ssh <your username>@<the other computers ip address> and hit enter
if your username is the same on both computers, then
ssh <the other computers ip address> is good enough

If both of your computers are behind the same router you should have no problems, if you are trying to get from a location on the internet to your computer at home, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router and give your computers a reserved ip address (check your router documentation for how to do this)

hope that helps

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyLinuxGuy View Post
You will have to make sure that ssh is installed on Ubuntu.

From the command line (terminal)
sudo apt-get install ssh

If you use the synaptic package manager, just search for ssh and install both the client and server.

Once that is done, you can open a terminal on either computer and type

ssh <your username>@<the other computers ip address> and hit enter
if your username is the same on both computers, then
ssh <the other computers ip address> is good enough

If both of your computers are behind the same router you should have no problems, if you are trying to get from a location on the internet to your computer at home, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router and give your computers a reserved ip address (check your router documentation for how to do this)

hope that helps

cheers
Is SSH really the best way? Just trying to share folders really. I guess I should have explained better. I'm trying to have my itunes share for my MBP on the Ubuntu machine.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Ahh..okay...

In that case Samba works very well and is trivial to setup on Ubuntu. I personally don't use it anymore so I can't help you with the setup, but you should be able to find the answer on the Ubunut forums but basically apt-get install samba, setup file sharing for windows on your mac and connect to it from your Ubuntu box

Hope that helps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels Stuck? | Boot Camp "Video Memory" Help »