New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

XP, and a wifi-network-killing laptop.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

x59

x59 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Aluminum Macbook 2.0gHz, 2 gHz 20" Core Duo iMac.

Brought a Dell laptop home, running XP. Whenever I try to get it to connect to my home wifi, it does not do so, and in the process takes down the network, somehow. My router is in the basement, my iMac and iPod Touch run fine whenever this thing is not around. But once I try to connect with this laptop, the wireless disappers, and so does the internet on the computer that is wired to the router.

It seems the Dell does something to the router to make it not share its internet but why?

I know this is Mac-Forums but ya'll are smart and I thought I'd try here first.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Some questions for you...
How are you connecting with the Dell? (usb adapter, etc..)
Has it been on the internet before? (any network?)
Which router are you using?
What is the internet connection? (cable, DSL, etc..)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Before you turn the Dell on again, can you get a quick list of your various IP addresses together? And then, get the IP for the Dell? ipconfig /all from the command line will get you the same info as ifconfig in OS-X.

My gut reaction is that the Dell has had an IP address hard-coded into the interface that is the same as your wireless router. This would cause immediate IP routing conflicts that would affect every machine on your LAN. It may not cause the wifi signal to disappear, but it may cause the processor to lag and just not display the data, as it's trying to reconcile the IP conflict.

Does the same thing happen if the Dell's wifi is turned off and it's connected via Ethernet cable?

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
x59

x59 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Aluminum Macbook 2.0gHz, 2 gHz 20" Core Duo iMac.

Seems to have been the router. My father took the Dell to a local wifi network and it was fine connecting. Got a new router to replace our WRT54g. He got the WRT54GR...i think. Seems to be faster and connecting nicely. I think it was the IP issue. When the Dell was trying to connect, the hard wired PC displayed some kind of IP error, then it disappeared. Problem solved. Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« parallels vista issue | Windows XP on MB and MBP »