New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

What version of Vista do I need? New to Boot Camp.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CosmicFunkSquad

CosmicFunkSquad is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a late 2006 Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo w/ 3gigs of RAM version and am looking to install Vista via bootcamp. I have settled on the Home Premium version but do I need to buy the 32 bit version or 64 bit for the laptop I have. Any information for a Boot Camp noob would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's the 32bit version you want

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306538
QUOTE Thanks
redhatchbox

64 bit version WILL work.

Just installed Vista 64bit on my iMac
QUOTE Thanks
chris_h

chris_h is on a distinguished road

what benefits are there if not a bit of a blonde question with 32 and 64 bit o.O
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

For most people there will be no significant benefit at this point. It's certainly faster at processing instructions, but the problem is many of the applications on the market haven't yet been re-developed to provide 64-bit instructions to the CPU. That being said, it's always very cool to run the latest, greatest, bleeding-edge code if you can handle the risk.

And here's the biggest risk right now: Not many of the more popular Anti-virus packages out there are capable of supporting 64-bit hardware. And a few of them simply will not run on 64-bit Operating Systems. Right now, the one I know of that's effective on 64-bit XP and Vista is Kaspersky. You can get a trial on betanews.com, and I would seriously recommend doing trials of all vista x64 products before buying them, as some will perform better than others.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Why are you going to install vista?
Will not Xp do what you want?
and at a cheaper cost
QUOTE Thanks
Gaz

Gaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz

you want the XP version.

24" iMac 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 580GB EHDD, Firewave, 7.1 Sound System. Mac Mini 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.1 Sound System, 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor, EyeTV with Miglia Mini. Apple TV 160GB.iPod Mini Blue 6GB
QUOTE Thanks
Wabbit13

Wabbit13 is on a distinguished road

I'm running 32 bit Vista Ultimate in Bootcamp and have Fusion installed as well that runs it out of the Bootcamp partition when I want it to. Vista Ultimate is the closest Win OS to OSX. I've had no problems. I have a 2.4 ghz 4 GB MBP. I use Vista Ultimate for work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« KbdMgr.exe reboots Windows after startup EVERYTIME! | Increasing Partition for Parallels VM »