New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can't install Mac OS 9.2...please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hlhbk

hlhbk is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a g3 800 mhz ibook that had mac os 10.3 installed on it.
Before I get into my dilema let me explain what i am trying to accomplish. i am primarialy a PC user but have been a huge fan of the journeyman project games. I won an auction on ebay for Journeyman Project pegasus prime. So I bought my ibook, and was very excited.

Well needless to say running pegasus prime didn't work under os x. So I won another action for the retail CD of mac os 9.2.1. That won't install under the classic enviornment because it states that the installer can't run.

After doing some research I see that only mac os 9.2.2 will run on this ibook. Is there any way to get this cd to get installed after downloading the updates or what? I am kinda lost as this is my first real mac use in years.

Is there a guide to intergrate the 9.2.2 update into the install off the cd?

Also The ibook has a cd burner/DVD combo. Unfortunatly the system did not come with the installation cd's. That is why I purchased 9.2.1 off of ebay, and have been scoping out copies of 10.3.9 to buy as well. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but by the end of last night I was so frustrated with this thing I just had to walk away.

I checked my model on apple support and it states it supports os 9.2.2, so I know I can run it. I also have been looking at emulators for the mac to see if I can get 9.2.1 to run on them, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I guess I understand why apple made certain cd's only work with certain systems, but I do not understand why their classic enviornment doesn't emulate everything.

Thanks in advance for you help on this matter.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Don't bother with emulators if you do manage to get OS 9 installed. VPC and SoftWindows are oh so s-l-o-w to be useless for gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Note moved to a better forum (Classic Mac OS and Programs).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe your system is one of those that can still boot into OS 9. If you OS 9.2.1 media is bootable. Then boot from the media by inserting it and booting your system, while holding down the c key. Once your system has booted you should be able to install the OS 9.2.1. When you have completed the process then upgrade to 9.2.2.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
redsoxreed

redsoxreed is on a distinguished road

put the 9.2.1 disk in, restart, and hold down c. when you get the livecd desktop, install 9.2.1 from the cd. After the install is finished, keep the cd in the drive, open up the web browser and go to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288 and download 9.2.2. Open up the disk image on your desktop and install 9.2.2 over 9.2.1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XP on a G4 with Leopard | Win to Mac Migration Situation »