New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

opening pc based files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maclook

maclook has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: iMac 10.9.1 - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB ram

I recently purchased a self study/online course from CIW certified. I was told the course could be done a mac, but that's not the case. I have been back & forth with emails for two weeks with them & nothing they have suggested works.
The last suggestion was to run Virtual PC, but I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard.(Because they also said that would work) Because it's not compatible I am looking for something that might work like that and keep my cost & vulnerability from viruses to a minimum.

More Info Below

I am trying to open a flash file that loads a player to launch and organize movie clips. The player shows up & it says loading media, but that's as far as it goes. I can open the small clips individually, but the files are numbered in a way that you wouldn't know what they are or what order they should be played in.

They also have an online elearning player that won't work. Similar to above it loads and let's you choose where you want to go, but freezes when you get there. I can choose a topic like "continue this course" from a pull down menu, but it won't progress into the actual pages of the item you choose. Javascript is enabled in all of my browsers.(Safari, Firefox, Netscape) Only firefox seems to work in any way when trying the above description.
I am also trying to open .xml files as well

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

If you have a copy of Windows, use Bootcamp (which comes with Leopard) to install the operating system. Bootcamp will partition your hard drive, and install Windows so that you can install and run your program there. Bootcamp allows you to select Windows at boot-up.

I would not be concerned about viruses if all you are going to do is to install and run your self study program. The worst that can happen is that the Windows side of your PC gets infected, in which case you can just reformat and reinstall Windows. The Mac side of your computer will be impervious to any virus.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
maclook

maclook has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: iMac 10.9.1 - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB ram

Thanks EORI

Unfortunately, my copy of Windows XP is a pre SP2 disk. So I would actually have to go by another copy of XP to use with Bootcamp. Would you or anyone else know if I can use my pre SP2 XP disk with Parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Yes you can. Or you can create a xp install disk with sp2 on it, by following these instructions.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
QUOTE Thanks
juancastaneda

juancastaneda is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 120 G Hard Drive

can macs get spyware?

You don't realize how much you have changed until you have talked to someone who was there at the start .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Formatting From Vista to XP.. | Fan Speeds in Win XP »