New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Parallels XP Boot Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

I had a quick search on the forum for a similar issue but couldn't find anything.

The other day, my MBP went to sleep whilst XP was running through Parallels, and for some reason it didn't want to wake up.

After forcing a reboot into Leopard, I opened Parallels but it quit as soon as it launched. I tried again, and during the boot my MBP had a kernel panic and needed to be rebooted.

After rebooting, everything seemed fine in Leopard, but when I try to boot Windows in Parallels, it comes up with:

Quote:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
I then tried restarting into Windows via Boot Camp and it started up and ran normally, which I found a bit strange.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue? Any possible solutions? XP works fine through Boot Camp, and the error only comes up in Parallels. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

I've never had that particular problem however i find that every few months my VM won't boot for one reason or another. I always make a back up of the virtual machine (located in documents-parallels.) Then if I have a problem i just delete the virtual machine that isn't working and replace it with the back up it's really simple.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Thanks for the reply.

I tried deleting the virtual machine and creating a new one (from my Boot Camp partition) but it still comes up with the same problem.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The F Number Keys | External HD problem on WinXP »