New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Power of Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Watchdog

Watchdog is on a distinguished road

Is Parallels powerful enough to run a game with these system requirements?

1.7 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
DirectX 8 compatible video card

I can move a little slider up to 1024 MB of RAM, I think. I have an Intel GMA 950 video card, which claims to be DirectX 9 compatible, but I'm not sure how that interacts with Parallels. My processor is a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Does Parallels set a limit on how much of processor power it can take up?

I run a MacBook. The game I'm interested in is Valve's Portal, if that helps at all or if anyone has experience trying to run that on Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
Watchdog

Watchdog is on a distinguished road

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you searcxh the forums, you will find that vmware and parallel are not well suited for games.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

I dont think that parallels VMware really run games that good
I know that you can go ahead and do it but i dont suggest it.
Especially with those specs. there not bad but your CPU is probably
really consumed by running that software. it the specs were like 2.4GHz and 2GB RAM then go for it

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Portal does run under Parallels, but it won't do it with all of the eye candy turned on, nor at high resolution. I've also noticed some graphical glitches - but it does indeed run. Just FYI...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows xp2 '3gb switch' | How do I dual boot Linux on a Macbook »