New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Update firmware without an OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DevHace

DevHace is on a distinguished road

So I got this G3 PowerMac (blue and beige/white whatever) from my friend without an HDD. I put mine in but the only problem is that it wouldnt boot from my OS X disk. It says firmware 3.1.1 and I think that means that you can't boot OS X from it, right? So how do I upgrade this firmware without an OS?? Can it be done?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

First find out what machine you do have as there is a world of difference between a blue and white G3 and a beige G3. Then it is necessary to update the firmware. Here is a link to doing this on a blue and white where it was necessary to install 8.5, update firmware and then on to OS X.

http://lowendmac.com/lab/05/0301.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows video card problem | Sound issue in Leopard/Boot Camp »