New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How do I format a Mac hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

obesedude

obesedude is on a distinguished road

It seems simple but I am running into a lot of trouble. I am trying to format a mac hard drive for a power macintosh g3 powerpc which is running MacOS 9.1. I do not have the original installation CD. I do have an installation CD for MacOS 9.2.2 but everytime I put it in, the CD drive just spits it back out. I don't need to use the computer, I just need to wipe the data before donating the box.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Is the 9.2.2 a system restore disc (grey) or a full install (Black) which is what you need. In 9.1 can you go to Disk Utility, select the HDD and hit the 'Erase' button?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Can you copy the G3's system folder and a copy of disk utility on to a CD with Toast and make your own bootable CD?

Or copy the system folder on to an external
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Is the 9.2.2 a system restore disc (grey) or a full install (Black) which is what you need. In 9.1 can you go to Disk Utility, select the HDD and hit the 'Erase' button?
Harry, the grey and black disks are OS X only. OS 9 and earlier were white disks like this:

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe the application to use is called disk first aid.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yep rman, in OS 9 and earlier, Apple's disk utility was indeed called Disk First Aid and the icon was a speeding ambulance or something, if I recall correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

stonysleep will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

I forget if it was a replacement or an extra, but there was an app called drive setup in OS9 that I used to use
It does sound like the OS9 disc you have won't boot that mac so if it has a cd burner what louishen suggested does sound very feasible. Just make sure you put the app for erasing the drive on the cd/hd aswell as the system folder
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You can use Drive setup to reformat the drive or just take it out and donate
the box.. I saw a G3 desktop at the thrift store the other day...$8.02 most
are going into the dumpster.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Yes of course they are. Silly me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« KDE 4 is out! | SERIOUS problem »